CRT- Questions

Monday I received a NEC/Mitsu FE2111sb CRT and absolutely luv it. I have read comments on the 2141. Is the max resolution the only difference between the 2? Also, having never owned a CRT screen so large, using NAVSET, does it take a period of adjusting to get crisp images? I find myself adjusting every time I sit down at the screen but overall it looks good, some "blur-fuzziness" still remains. I have 25 more days to decide to keep it or should I go for the 2141?

Thanks,

R

I just got my 2141 in the mail today. I know what your talking about the blurriness. It is super crisp at the center at starts to degrade as you move further away. I'm running at 1600x1200@85hz on mine and it was very very noticable before i upped the dpi of fonts from 96 to 120.

The fuzziness went away. Probably cause my text just got bigger, but either way it isn't as noticable now. Of course now the icons in the quick launch bar got some serious jaggies, but that is better than having my buddy list in aim be blurry and my task bar be out of focus.

I'm a little skeptical on the cable that came with the monitor, as it might be part of the problem. I was expecting some super thick beefy cable with gold plating, etc to come with a $600 monitor. The cable is way thinner than the cable to the monitor I replaced.

The fuzziness is definately not a deal killer and there might be further adjustments to get rid of more of it. I haven't tried much of navset. I used it to adjust the geometry and get the brightness to the right level. I haven't touched the convergence and using any moire cancellation causes the monitor to be unreadable.

Anyways, these monitors are still the best things out there. I'm super anal when it comes to monitors and tvs and I can definately live with the short comings of this monitor. Where as I couldn't with most other crts and lcds out there.

The 2141 is only if you need super resolution power. Otherwise the 2111 should do you fine.

Thanks guys! I'm gonna change the cable (got a few lying around) and seen if it makes a difference and /or just keep tweaking it.. But u r right, this monitor is great, doesn't take up a lot of space, and not all that heavy. Long live CRTs.

R

Personally I wouldn't like a crt that got fuzzy around the edges...my $190 21 incher is crisp:D
granted, it's a Trinitron tube and came with a thick cable.

Alright, after deciding I would look further into it, i found a simple little step by step thing to fix it on nec's website. http://www.necmitsubishi.com/css/tshoot/page9.htm . Just resetting to factory and setting brightness to 40 helped me out a lot. It isn't perfect, but it is definately better. I was able to go back to normal dpi on my fonts. Now on that hole thing on the left side of my 2141 I have NO idea of that is a focus thing. I used a flashlight on it and I couldn't see any screw or pot. All I saw was wires so I'm a little hesitant to go sticking a screw driver in there until I know for sure it is to adjust focus.

Well, i decided to stick a screw driver in those holes on the left and the top one is definately the focus control. Only problem is you need a philips screwdriver with a skinny end about 6in long and a plastic handle. However, I was able to make my monitor a tad bit sharper on the edges using the focus control with the 8font test pattern. The bottom hole I have no idea what it does. It seems like the adjustment there is locked, it doesn't want to budge, and I don't want to force it.

I messed w/ the convergence adjustments in Naviset and it definitely is better. I'm liking this monitor a lot! May try adjusting the focus at some point.

R

usually the fuzzy looking text/fonts or whatnot is due to refresh rate. this is from my experience only tho. try a few different refresh rates and see if it goes away. my old monitor was jaggied at 75hz but not at 85. try that, see if it helps.

C

Before blaming a quality monitor for any fuzziness, always look into the vid. card and cable you're using. High res with high refresh really taxes the bandwidth through the v.cards RF filters, and alot of them can't handle it, same with the cables.

Originally posted by CyberCRAP
Well, i decided to stick a screw driver in those holes on the left and the top one is definately the focus control. Only problem is you need a philips screwdriver with a skinny end about 6in long and a plastic handle. However, I was able to make my monitor a tad bit sharper on the edges using the focus control with the 8font test pattern. The bottom hole I have no idea what it does. It seems like the adjustment there is locked, it doesn't want to budge, and I don't want to force it.

Well i decided to call nec support since my monitor wasn't perfect. Anyways, they said both screws are focus controls. I went to altex electronics to get a smaller and longer phillips screwdriver. You need about a 5in shank and a #0 tip, which is impossible to find most places. Anyways, with my handy dandy screw driver I was able to adjust that bottom screw, and all I have to say is WOOHOOO. Finally the damn thing isn't softer on the edges. The 2141 has dual focus beams or something like that, talks about it on the box and manual. Seems one knob controls one of them and the other controls the other. You need both of them to make the image sharp for center to edge.

I picked up a Phillips #0 head at Home Puke. I haven't made any adjustments yet- I would assume ,Cyber, small adjustments are best. The fe2111 is looking pretty good as is, little fuzzy towards the edges/top/bottom, but not bad. Still fiddling around w/ the brightness/contrast- all in all a great monitor!

R

Last week I recieved my 2141 which is the first 22" monitor I've ever owned. Once past the initial excitement of having a new monitor, I too noticed a bit of blurriness - clear in the center but a bit blurry or fuzzy at the extreme ends. It took me about two days of farting around with Naviset to get it to an acceptable level, however it looks like I'm going to have to play around with the focus screws on the left side.

EDIT: Luckily I had a long slender Phillips screwdriver that fit through the holes and I was able to make some adjustments which helped a lot!

I'm a little skeptical on the cable that came with the monitor, as it might be part of the problem. I was expecting some super thick beefy cable with gold plating, etc to come with a $600 monitor. The cable is way thinner than the cable to the monitor I replaced

Are there quality replacement cables available similiar to what's offered for speaker wire? I just compared the 2141 cable to my old Viewsonic 17" and yeah it's definately smaller than the Viewsonic cable.

jmr,

Was the focus change VERY noticeable after u adjusted the screws?
Also, check out this link for video cable- www.cablesnmor.com/vga
I agree, the one that came w/ the NEC fe2111 was pretty flimsy. It is a whole different world w/ a large CRT eh!

R

It helped a lot from the default settings at the factory but you only have to turn the screws very lightly. You'll see for yourself when you start turning them as it doesn't take a lot of movement to throw the screen out of focus.

I think part of my problem was adjusting to 1600X1200 whereas before on my 17" I was at 1024x768.

Thanks for that cable link.

Back