CRT Problem

mike_6289

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 31, 2004
Messages
316
I purchased an IBM 260 from a friend of mine. It's perfect in almost every way, and even runs 2048x1536 at 75hz. Not bad for $85CDN

The problem is that it looks faded, almost like the brightness is turned up too much, except it's down all the way. It's hard to desscribe, but when I adjust the screen position, where the picture stops and there's black left at the bottom (if i moved it up) that is not faded.

I have no clue what this could possibly even be.
help!

thanks in advance
 
This is a common problem with Trinitron CRT's, over time the G2 resistor increases in voltage which in turn causes the picture to become overly bright. There is 2 ways you can fix it:

1. Solder a new G2 resistor as shown on this page

2. Buy a special interface cable that plugs into a little 4 pin port on the back of the monitor and then use the Sony WinDAS software to lower the G2 voltage value. As desribed here and here

I personally recommend option 2.
 
Well, I think I'm going to go with option 1 for now, for 20 cents it can't be beat, and I can always go and buy another 10MOhm resistor and solder it back on if it doesn't work out.
 
Back
Top