CRT HDTVs

Mozex

[H]ard|Gawd
I was looking for a HD CRT tv/monitor for playing old consoles / wii and I found a few on craigslist but they were all 27 or 30 inch models. Ideally I'd like something smaller than that (20ish) so that I can set it on the corner of my desk, but I don't know if they really come any smaller.

Should I keep looking or did no manufacturers make HD CRT TVs smaller than 27 inches?

i dont believe they made them that small.

that being said, the old sony trinitron CRT tv's are great from all that i've heard.

I don't believe they made them that small. The next step would probably be an FW900. But yeah, the last generation HD CRTs that Sony made were very nice displays, and I have been on the lookout for a 40".

They only went up to 34 inches and they weigh a ton. A buddy of mine has one and the PQ is amazing. I have never seen anything come close.

They only went up to 34 inches and they weigh a ton. A buddy of mine has one and the PQ is amazing. I have never seen anything come close.

You should go see a CRT front projector and some of the newer digital projectors.

I have a 30" Sony HDTV crt and it's awesome. It's a damn beast and you've got to have 2 people to even think about lifting it but black that are BLACK and real accurate color... well I've had it for years and it's worth it.

I also am typing this on a A7217A (rebranded Sony FW900) so it all goes hand in hand. I'm curious what my electric bill might be like if I ditched these dino's and I'm worried that one is going to go and I'll have to replace it with a "modern" monitor. :(

I have a Sony 34XBR960 & 5080HD Kuro plasma and surprisingly the Plasma has a slight edge in the PQ department minus the CRT's ability to produce an absolute black, the kuro's black levels are very close but it also has a considerably brighter picture than the CRT which goes a long way.

But the Sony is the best CRT HDTV Ive seen its just a shame they have worse than average geometry & convergence (mainly in the corners of the screen.) which made outputting PC to it look pretty embarrassing, My FW900 had nearly perfect geometry / convergence in comparison.

I have a 30" Sony HDTV crt and it's awesome. It's a damn beast and you've got to have 2 people to even think about lifting it but black that are BLACK and real accurate color... well I've had it for years and it's worth it.

I also am typing this on a A7217A (rebranded Sony FW900) so it all goes hand in hand. I'm curious what my electric bill might be like if I ditched these dino's and I'm worried that one is going to go and I'll have to replace it with a "modern" monitor. :(

Grab a 30" S-IPS LCD when it does go.

I can't remember any 4:3 CRT HDTVs smaller than 27"... I don't think they made any smaller than that. There were a few 16:9 26" CRT HDTVs, so if you manage to find one, I think that would be the smallest.

BTW, you may want to avoid Samsung Slimfit models -- the ones that I saw in stores had terrible geometry.

I have a 27" Sony Wega with only S-Video, and I have to say, even without component 480p+ it still looks great. I think you S-Video looks pretty good on the smaller CRTs.

I sold tvs and electronics back when crt's were first introduced for hd. If I'm remembering correctly the smallest crt hdtv you could by in the states was a 27 but it was 4:3. Widescreen sets were 30-40 inches with Sony making the very best ones by far. They weigh a ton though I can tell you and honestly I'd buy a decent lcd in the 26-40 inch range and call it a day. Be easier to move and sell in the future as well as get repaired or recycle.

Goodluck finding one though if you're deadset on it. I'd go for the 34 from Sony if you can find one and you'll be glad you did.

Posted from my transformer TF101B

... Widescreen sets were 30-40 inches with Sony making the very best ones by far. ...
Goodluck finding one though if you're deadset on it. I'd go for the 34 from Sony if you can find one and you'll be glad you did.

That's what I've got, a 30" sony widescreen 16:9 that does 1080i. I bought it off a guy a few years ago for $200 back when the average Joe was trading in CRTs for LCDs. Awesome but good lord it's a boat anchor.

i dont get it, you want an HD CRT to play non HD consoles on?

I think he wants one with 480p. The Wii/Gamecube, Dreamcast, N64/PSX (via SCART to Component) support component video. I think Genesis might as well.

Back