CRT/DP question

Odellus

[H]ard|Gawd
i'm going to be getting a mitsubishi 2060u for quake. the only ports on my card that are available are hdmi and dp. do i need an active vga -> dp adapter to use the crt with my gpu (will be doing 800x600 @ 160 Hz) or will a passive one (like this) work? i ask about the dp adapter because it's the cheapest one i can find, all of the hdmi adapters seem to be at least twice as expensive.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
well i'd try the passive one first as it is so cheap

(i think?) the active ones have their own dac inside, which may or may not be able to support high refresh rates, and may or may not add a frame of input lag

Passive will never work without an active switcher. Active is required to switch from Digital signal to Analog of the VGA port.

yea i'm pretty sure you'll need an active one. Might be cheaper to buy a low-mid range geforce card that has DVI-A.

does your card seriously not have dvi-i? or are you using the dvi for a lcd or something? if so you should try using dp or hdmi for the lcd and use a dvi-a -> vga adapter. i really doubt the quality and bandwidth capability of an active adapter...

signal converters that do not do any scaling do not need to add any input lag and it is easier (and cheaper!) to make lag-less one. More precisely they might add few pixels worth of lag but nothing more. There is no reason to add memory to simple analog to digital or digital to analog converters. It is even possible to make own DVI/HDMI to VGA converter with DVI/HDMI input IC and VGA DAC IC (or even using resistor ladder instead).

I have two of such scalers, one HDFireFury (clone of HDFury) and some other chinese HDMI-VGA box. Both have quite nice picture quality. I can squeeze about 230MHz pixel clock out of HDFireFury and chinese one can't do much more than what is needed for 1920x1080@60Hz.

I would suggest you to get HDFury (the one with DVI-D input) and DVI to HDMI adapter.

ps. What card do you have that do not have at least one DVI-I port?

I think he's using one DVI port already is what I understood from his original post. In that case, I'd let the CRT occupy the DVI port and get an hdmi-DVI converter for the other monitor.

does your card seriously not have dvi-i? or are you using the dvi for a lcd or something? if so you should try using dp or hdmi for the lcd and use a dvi-a -> vga adapter. i really doubt the quality and bandwidth capability of an active adapter...

my card and monitor setup is in my signature. my QX2710 requires a DVI port and so does my VG236.

can i do vga -> dvi-a for the crt, leave my qx2710 on dvi, and then convert my vg236 dvi to dp with a passive adapter or do i absolutely need an active one in any case? that's kind of a bummer if so. didn't really want to spend any more than $10 on this.

signal converters that do not do any scaling do not need to add any input lag and it is easier (and cheaper!) to make lag-less one. More precisely they might add few pixels worth of lag but nothing more. There is no reason to add memory to simple analog to digital or digital to analog converters. It is even possible to make own DVI/HDMI to VGA converter with DVI/HDMI input IC and VGA DAC IC (or even using resistor ladder instead).

I have two of such scalers, one HDFireFury (clone of HDFury) and some other chinese HDMI-VGA box. Both have quite nice picture quality. I can squeeze about 230MHz pixel clock out of HDFireFury and chinese one can't do much more than what is needed for 1920x1080@60Hz.

I would suggest you to get HDFury (the one with DVI-D input) and DVI to HDMI adapter.

ps. What card do you have that do not have at least one DVI-I port?

no way am i spending $100 on one of those things. what a joke.

i guess worst case scenario i'll have to be limited to running anything on it off of the igp, which isn't too bad considering i was just getting this for quake anyway. would've liked to try some modern games.

Last edited:
i'd still try to figure out some way to use your graphics card's dac as it's probably higher quality and more capable than an adapter's

says the dac is 162 MHz, which would be enough for 800x600 at 214 Hz or 640x480 at nearly 500 Hz. it won't be an issue. the monitor will likely not go too much over 160 at 800x600, maybe 180 or 200 if i'm lucky.

The HDFury guys said they were working on a DAC capable of 4k, but didn't give a timeline. That product would basically future-proof all CRTs. I hope we see it one day.

Back