• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Crossover 404k or Crossover 434K?

kalex1114

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 14, 2013
Messages
126
Looking for an opinion on which one to go with?

I found a used 404K for $425 shipped. About a year old. Can't seem to find any 434K on sale yet but still looking. 404K is VA panel and 434K is IPS.

Any suggestions are appreciated


Alex
 
Looking for an opinion on which one to go with?

I found a used 404K for $425 shipped. About a year old. Can't seem to find any 434K on sale yet but still looking. 404K is VA panel and 434K is IPS.

Any suggestions are appreciated


Alex

You pretty much stated the obvious difference in your post. The 43" is AH-IPS, the 40" is MVA or PVA. The 43" will have the best color uniformity and viewing angles, but the contrast and black level won't be as good as the 40". The 40" will have great contrast and black level, but subpar viewing angles and suffer from black crush and the bullseye effect when viewed at typical distance for a PC user. (Bullseye meaning a round section of good color in the center of your vision and slightly distorted color and gamma towards the edges of the screen.)

My personal decision would be based around what content I plan to use the display for. If it's going to be mostly media consumption and gaming I would get the 40" for it's deeper blacks and better contrast. The bullseye effect noted above isn't apparent when gaming or watching movies and the deep blacks make gaming awesome. Conversely, if you plan to spend more time on the desktop browsing the web, working, using photoshop, etc then I would opt for the 43" for the color purity and uniformity.
 
You pretty much stated the obvious difference in your post. The 43" is AH-IPS, the 40" is MVA or PVA. The 43" will have the best color uniformity and viewing angles, but the contrast and black level won't be as good as the 40". The 40" will have great contrast and black level, but subpar viewing angles and suffer from black crush and the bullseye effect when viewed at typical distance for a PC user. (Bullseye meaning a round section of good color in the center of your vision and slightly distorted color and gamma towards the edges of the screen.)

My personal decision would be based around what content I plan to use the display for. If it's going to be mostly media consumption and gaming I would get the 40" for it's deeper blacks and better contrast. The bullseye effect noted above isn't apparent when gaming or watching movies and the deep blacks make gaming awesome. Conversely, if you plan to spend more time on the desktop browsing the web, working, using photoshop, etc then I would opt for the 43" for the color purity and uniformity.

wow Perfect explanation. Thank you I guess I will pass and will look for 434k. I'm going to replace 3 of my HP LP2475w monitors with this and use it for computer work. Lightroom, web, etc
 
I have the 404K sitting on my desk at home and for what it's used for (single person user sitting directly in front), it works great. I originally had it hooked up with the displayport but it started acting wonky so I had to switch to one of the HDMI connectors. No dead pixels to speak of and works great. I'd be tempted to get a 434 one if I were in the market for a new monitor just for the size (I'm guessing 43 = 43"?) and that I'm more of a IPS / fidelity fan than an FPS / frame-rate fan.
 
I have the 404K sitting on my desk at home and for what it's used for (single person user sitting directly in front), it works great. I originally had it hooked up with the displayport but it started acting wonky so I had to switch to one of the HDMI connectors. No dead pixels to speak of and works great. I'd be tempted to get a 434 one if I were in the market for a new monitor just for the size (I'm guessing 43 = 43"?) and that I'm more of a IPS / fidelity fan than an FPS / frame-rate fan.

My only option is to use display port in order to get 60hz from my mac pro. I think i will get 434k because of IPS and extra 3" . Question is where to get it? It seems to be sold out. Checked few ebay auctions and they are out of stock
 
I went the eBay route myself. Let me know who / which seller you end up using, in case I decide to pick one up too :-D
 
I went the eBay route myself. Let me know who / which seller you end up using, in case I decide to pick one up too :-D

It seems all sellers are out of stock as current prices are around $2600. They do it when they run out of stock in order to keep the listing up and running
 
You may have to end up settling for the cheaper VA models just because they seem to have stopped making the 42" and 43" IPS Korean monitors. I don't know if the supply of surplus panels from LG dried up or what, but there haven't been any in months except the Wasabi Mango UHD430 and it's going for $700 and change right now. If I had that much to spend, I would grab the 49" V490UHD HDX... it's selling for $740 right now and I bet if someone made a $700 offer it would be accepted.

49" might seem a little big, but it's an IPS panel and whoever is making Microboard branded units makes them extremely industrial in design and durability. In fact they're so industrial looking that they might clash with your style... lol. I almost grabbed one of these last week but then that $529 deal on the Samsung 50JU6500 popped up and I bit on that instead. :p


There IS the 43" Wasabi Mango ZEN TV/Monitor hybrid, it's IPS and does 4K/60 with full 4:4:4 chroma. But it has no displayport and since you're using a mac...... ermm......
 
You may have to end up settling for the cheaper VA models just because they seem to have stopped making the 42" and 43" IPS Korean monitors. I don't know if the supply of surplus panels from LG dried up or what, but there haven't been any in months except the Wasabi Mango UHD430 and it's going for $700 and change right now. If I had that much to spend, I would grab the 49" V490UHD HDX... it's selling for $740 right now and I bet if someone made a $700 offer it would be accepted.

49" might seem a little big, but it's an IPS panel and whoever is making Microboard branded units makes them extremely industrial in design and durability. In fact they're so industrial looking that they might clash with your style... lol. I almost grabbed one of these last week but then that $529 deal on the Samsung 50JU6500 popped up and I bit on that instead. :p


There IS the 43" Wasabi Mango ZEN TV/Monitor hybrid, it's IPS and does 4K/60 with full 4:4:4 chroma. But it has no displayport and since you're using a mac...... ermm......

49" might be too big. I bought 48UNJS9000 model which is 2015 samsung and even though it was curved, it was still too big. Main issue with it, is that I couldn't get it to work at 60Hz for some reason. Tried 2 adapters and 2 cables. Didn't get passed 30hz. Thats why I kind of need DP or switch to PC :) . I think 43" is the sweet spot for me. I saw that 50" samsung on sale but can't use it. Do you like it?

I just sent ebay message to one seller and they said they will have it in 2-3 days but then i asked the price and reply was "its in the listing" and that price is $2700. I laughed
 
I have the 404K, and I can attest to the amazing contrast. The colour shift is non-existent. I have two IPS screens next to the 404K and I can't actually see a difference in viewing angles.

What I will say is that the 404K has high input lag and slower response time than the other IPS screens I'm using. I'm not sure if its a dud panel or if this is a trait of all VA panels, but there is a noticeable ghosting in high-contrast scenes. Not a terrific monitor for gaming, but I'm not really susceptible to input lag and whatnot: I was able to beat DOOM on nightmare difficulty on this monitor without it ever becoming an issue.
 
So I just heard back from one seller and it seems that there is a supply shortage so 434k might not be avaialble for a while. Looks like its404k or maybe get Dell U3415w model. Too bad the new 43" dell has crappy reviews
 
Back
Top