CrossOver 2730MD LED-P 125hz Overclockable

So...

Multi input = scalar = dropped frames = not true 60hz+ performance? I seem to remember something along those lines anyways.

It is a monitor with a scalar, which makes me skeptical since the "120hz" 2B Catleap monitors with scalars could not work at >60hz, no matter what the manufacturer claimed. Something about the scalar messing everything up.

Well, I'm skeptical but interested. Scalers certainly don't always drop frames, just in the case of the rumoured overclockable "Multi" catleaps that never worked out.

Somebody needs to buy and test!

i thought he multi input introduced more input lag compared to the ones with just dvi?

So...

Multi input = scalar = dropped frames = not true 60hz+ performance? I seem to remember something along those lines anyways.
This.

With the scaler you will not be getting the results that you expect. It was demonstrated and discussed in other threads.

Now if this is a different model than the one tested prior, then results may vary a bit, but i wouldn't get my hopes up, nor bank on it. And yes a guinea pig is needed :D

"This is a copy and paste from my post on another forum, thought it applies to this discussion as well (not much info right now on this model)"

Just wanted to post that I've went ahead and ordered the 2730md-p. I've actually already gotten the tracking info minutes ago. From the looks of it, I might be one of the first in the States lay my hands on one of these as according to eBay only 1 has been sold and I must assume that's me.

This will be my first Korean IPS and I'm hoping the claims of 125hz aren't just smoke. I won't be terribly disappointed if it is as I'm really in it for the gorgeous picture I hear so much about. I currently game on a 23" 120hz LG TN display and like it but for some reason I've got an itch to check out these larger Korean IPS monitors.

Registered here to get the ball rolling, will let everyone know what I think when I get it and have time to tinker with the refresh a bit. With that said, does anyone know of a good tutorial to follow for display overclocking? A brief search brought up a Youtube video I think will suffice though any tips would be appreciated.

Specs:
GTX 680 stock
i5-2500k stock
128ssd Windows 7 x64

It specifically lists 2560x1440 as 60Hz. It may be one of those things where lower resolutions, like 800x600, can run at high refresh rates, but as you move up in resolution, the refresh rate limit goes down.

Well I don't read korean but in the promotional material with the series of pictures it specifically mentions 125hz. To my knowledge none of the other catleap models promotional materials has this image or the word(number?) 125hz appeared. That, and the seller adds this to his posting:

"According to information by manufactor,
this monitor can be overclocked up to 125Hz.
And Overclock Hz depends on video card."

He then explains that he doesn't (hasn't?) tested the overclock capabilities and this cannot be a reason for a return/refund. That's fine by me. But IMO it adds a little credibility to the claim it can be OC'd.

Am I rushing to conclusion? No. I don't know what to expect. Frankly I won't even be upset if it doesn't overclock past 60hz. I think it is possible for it to overclock given the information available which isn't much. It's a risk but it's a risk where the upside far outweighs the downside. Worse case scenario is I get a monitor that looks fantastic.

I should know more by next week.

Also, I should point out that if looking at the specs of both the 2720md and 2730md models, if the 2730md did not support higher refresh overclock, it would actually be a downgrade from the 2720md as the 2730md is missing Display port, Component input, and SPDIF audio output.

Wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer muddled their naming convention but it typically stands to reason that higher model number = better or more features.

I am leaning toward this display actually being able to overclock. Again, won't be disappointed if that's not the case.

*edit* The 2720md actually is commanding the higher price right now in eBay, so there is that. Could the 2730md actually be a downgrade? I guess I'll find out.

Last edited:
my bad.. I missed the promotional picture.
It could be true.. also all of the other model's promotional pictures do not show any gaming stuff. I hope it really does OC.
Let us know the result btw.

OMG It's HERE!!! lol. Woke up this afternoon and it's sitting on my couch, thank god roommates were around to sign for it. Seriously though, it shipped Friday from South Korea and it's sitting in my living room on Monday afternoon. That has got to be expensive for them!

Time to dig in :)

overclock now! let us know the result!
Shipping cost is always expensive on our end. I'm sure most asian countries have cheaper shipping cost.
Anyway, express shipping is never cheap. You know.. sometimes it only costs extra few bux to upgrade from snail mail shipment. Why would someone choose to save few bux?

Ok, so I admit I am new to the display overclocking thing but it's not looking great.

I am able to go overclock all the way up to 120hz and get an image though it doesn't look like it's any smoother than the default 60hz. I also get artifacting at 90hz and above. I am currently using the dvi-d cable from my older 120hz monitor and haven't tried the supplied cable yet or hdmi 1.4a.

Also have a stuck green pixel on the left hand of the screen which is wish I could say is hard to notice but it sticks out pretty bad on dark scenes. Light bleeding on off-center bottom left as well. Not ideal as of yet. Will do some further testing.

I've sent an eBay message asking for a refund.

The lack of 120hz did not affect my choice to return. The stuck green pixel, excessive light bleed, poor black levels, ghosting, and poor scaling/image quality over hdmi did. In fact if the monitor did OC to 120hz I still don't think I'd stick with it.. I already have a 120hz TN that in all honesty has much better IQ imo. Was expecting more from IPS. Oh well. Maybe I got a dud? Hard to say without anything comparable to check it against.

Really wish I could have looked at this first but as it stands I don't see myself using it over the display it was meant to replace. It's pretty much a downgrade in every sense except size.

He should accept the return, but it's highly probable he'll make me pay return shipping which will sting. Still better than being out the whole $450 with a monitor I won't use.

As with everything, your results may vary.

Cheers

Yeah, you can't get 120Hz over HDMI, but it sounds like it's the least of your concerns right now.

I hope you have good luck with the seller, but most of them do have policies that spell out the risks with these monitors. It really sounds like you got a lemon though.

Only the scaling part was in relation to HDMI, the other points were valid independent of input.

Only the scaling part was in relation to HDMI, the other points were valid independent of input.

Sorry, I misread what you had said.

Definitely sounds like a poor experience for you though. I hope someone else takes a chance on this just to find out if it's got any potential or if it's a bad batch all together and a waste of a model.

Oh, one other question: How is the stand? Stable? Shaky?

Did you go with the pivot model?

The stand is awesome. I really like the pivot stand, not shaky at all. It has no issue lifting, tilting, or going into a vertical position.

I messaged seller on eBay and haven't gotten a reply yet. My guess is he doesn't want to deal with returns. It is what it is I guess. I'm not too concerned anymore. If I don't hear back from the seller soon, I might just try to put this on eBay for a loss. (I will be honest about it's issues.)

As for trying again, I think I will eventually once a model has been confirmed to OC. 120hz is very nice afterall.

Back