CrossFlow...The Next Evolution.

markkleb

Gawd
A few month ago I mentioned I wanted to build a SFF comp with a Full size ATX and SLI and basically I got a few replys saying its not SFF or it cant be done and Blablabla..

Here is one of my Qpacks, works fine but a LOT of clutter and at best POOR cooling.
QpackClutter.jpg

Well I did it anyways, basically the case is not much bigger than the ATX mobo. Notice 99% of the wiring is hidden..Thats why I made it a clear case, so people could see it can be done.
backSide.jpg

very nice work!!! I have been wanting to do something like that for a while now. Any chance you have a work log? I would really like to see what materials you used. Congrats, nice looking case

This is nice and all, but why didn't you just buy a BobSlay instead? Same thing you have, but with a tad more functionality.

Ockie said:
This is nice and all, but why didn't you just buy a BobSlay instead? Same thing you have, but with a tad more functionality.

Same thing?? mine is smaller and has superior cooling and design.

markkleb said:
Ur not to bright either are you? :rolleyes:

I suggest you read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_form_factor

And on the front page of SFF Club is a pict of a Qpack, are they wrong? Oh wait dont you work with them? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
HAHA, I wrote that wikipedia article but thanks for bringing in my work :)

And yes, I am the editor/owner of SFFClub. I am not criticizing your computer, it was done very nicely, I am just saying it is not "SFF". Can you give the dimensions of the case in inches?

looks cute. i wanna pinch its cheeks.

its a nice little case, tiny case, small atx case, little atx case, whatever you wanna call it. Can we call it SFF? I'll leave that one open...

Steeeeve said:
HAHA, I wrote that wikipedia article but thanks for bringing in my work :)

And yes, I am the editor/owner of SFFClub. I am not criticizing your computer, it was done very nicely, I am just saying it is not "SFF". Can you give the dimensions of the case in inches?

Its 10" wide X 8 7/8" high and 12 1/2" deep (used to be 12" deep but I droped it and broke the Biostar SLI mobo, the only other mobo I had was my DFI Expert but its 1/2" longer)

LOL, Dillusion I just read ur Sig (My mATX beats up ur ATX)

My Lego comp has wheels and can run over ur mATX comp :D
100_0731.jpg

I just spied your CM Crossflow fan, they come in pretty handy in certain applications don't they. Modifed mine to look a bit more pretty:

cf_fan_01.jpg

cf_fan_02.jpg

Nice box, even if it is small :p

Really nice job. I was working with a deadline and had to have it done last week for the Coolermaster mod contest. But I have it in pieces now to properly finish it up.

markkleb said:
Its 10" wide X 8 7/8" high and 12 1/2" deep (used to be 12" deep but I droped it and broke the Biostar SLI mobo, the only other mobo I had was my DFI Expert but its 1/2" longer)

Without a doubt it meets the space requirement..I think thats a given. Back in the day I actually argued for SFF to just be defined by space but this proves to be unpopular (we did a poll here on the forums). I would say it is generally accepted by people I have talked to that it requires a smaller form factor motherboard and small space. On the other side, I think your design is really nice and perhaps should be put into production (aluminum with aryclic face?). Perhaps we should make a category for SFFs that take ATX mobos....I dunno, there are mATX mini-towers which are "SFF" but the TJ08 is much larger than your case so those are often borderline.

You can find the diversity of opinion here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1022543&highlight=sff

I believe CrossFlow is its own class...

First- ALL clutter is GONE
Second- you are no longer bound by small selection of mobos
Third- Just about ANY pair (or 3) of video cards will fit fine (if I had $$$ I would have used a pair of 8800GTXs)
Fourth- cooling is about the best it can be (no obstructions and short path in/out)
Fifth- you are no longer bound by a short PS (a 1200 Watt will fit as easy as a 400.)

And if you need smaller just take out the 120mm rad and its 1" shorter and use the Evga mATX mobo 3" shorter.

And there is only 5 pieces to build the whole case.

Kinda looks like the size of a Microfly...

Very nice looking case. I dont like the see throughtype case but that does look nice.

Beautiful case. Its design is ingenious. Wish i could buy one just like it

It would be great if a case like this was available for purchase. I would definitely buy one. I hate full size ATX cases and dislike most of the mATX motherboards out now. This is combining best of both worlds. A great ATX mobo in a SFF case.

Are there any small cases with good airflow that fit ATX mobo? I really want to go conroe since my opty 165 build failed on me.

markkleb said:
I believe CrossFlow is its own class...

First- ALL clutter is GONE
Second- you are no longer bound by small selection of mobos
Third- Just about ANY pair (or 3) of video cards will fit fine (if I had $$$ I would have used a pair of 8800GTXs)
Fourth- cooling is about the best it can be (no obstructions and short path in/out)
Fifth- you are no longer bound by a short PS (a 1200 Watt will fit as easy as a 400.)

And if you need smaller just take out the 120mm rad and its 1 1/2 " shorter and use the Evga mobo 3" shorter.

And as to manufacturing the case only has 4 pieces..

Id say its DEFINATELY "One of a Kind"

how long did it take to make?

the first time a month, than 3 days before the CM mod contest I knocked it over and broke it in half. :rolleyes: (the first one was smaller as it had a Biostar SLI mobo)

So I built this one in 3 days.(probably 18-22 hrs a day)

markkleb said:
I dont think so but if I win the CM mod contest I will start making them for sale in alum and plastic.

:D

That would be great. I just searched the web for cubic acrylic cases but all of them have flawed designs. None of them can fit a tall tower heatsinks like the tuniq tower. But i think yours can.

nice to see you're still at it mark :D

this looks sweet, and i love the whole layout

i believe i've seen those 7600's before... lol

btw, if you put a handle on that a few more :D:D:D
that'd be quite the bragging rights build with two 8800gtx at a lan

Dam its been a long time mustang...hows things.?
I made a nylon cover that the comp sits into and has a handle on top. those are 7600GTs (the other ones were 7600GS cards)
I have a 7950GT that I won in another contest but the 7600GTs in SLI beat it in 3Dmark05,06.

My 7600GTs are 11080 in 3DMark05, now all I have to do is learn to OC :eek:

things are good here, you?

you're clearly still doing some top notch work :D

oh those were gs? oops

i love how you solder the 24pin connection to the mobo, makes it pretty sweet and clean lookin

that's the coolermaster all-in-one cpu water cooler, right? how do you like it?

and that cross flow fan is sick for slamming air behind the mobo and over the psu (that's what it's doing, right?)
get some more pics up if you can, cuz i think it's a little hard to tell everything that's going on, and alot of those things are what make it so cool (exhumed psu, soldered power connections, where the airflow from that cf fan is going, etc)

let us know how you do in the contest, and keep up the [H] work

Here is how I started with the basic design, First I had to bend a piece of plastic to become the housing for the 11" fan
HeatGun.jpg

MoboTrayBare.jpg

This shows the frame with the fan for the HDD/PS cooling
BasicFrame.jpg

This shows the basic idea(DVD below the mobo to free up the top)
BasicIdea.jpg

Here is the shot of the removable Hdd tray
MoboTrayIn.jpg

that's pretty nice

so, these cases would have be one of a kinds (with mobo and psu, etc), or would you let the customer to do it themselves (enthusiast market)?

My thought was to kick butt in the "Million Dollar Case Contest from Intel" They want the next big thing. I think this is it.
The best way would be to sell the case W/ the PS installed. You would install ur mobo and hardware.
I have come up with a new design that has the wiring built into the case so basically all you do is plug ur stuff in.

My second design (this is the third) has a alum frame and interchangeable faces. Since it was a CoolerMaster contest one face was perforated like the front of a Centurion. Another face was made out of Oak (they are interchangeable)

I have been messing around with Cooling and so far the best cooling/quiet is 2 Silenx fans, One to cool the Chipset and Video Cards and the other for the CPU/Memory.
CoolingTubeMoneyShot.jpg

Here it is with the H20 (looked cool but the CM Aquagate didnt work any better than a alum heatsink :) ) I used a Hyper6+ (much Better than Aquagate) and now I use a Zalman 9700 AM2 cause its much smaller and fits the design better
InsideH20.jpg

Also replaced the Blue Ice chipset cooler with a Swiftech Copper version., temps lowered 3C and it interferes less with the air going to the GPUs.

Fantastic job! When are you shipping mine? :confused:

If you all want to call the MicroFly and X-Qpack SFFs, then his case fits that category – it’s smaller. Bottom line it really doesn’t matter, but us computer geeks are anal by nature. I let chicks check out my SFF anytime they ask...

I don’t think a different chipset cooler will make an ounce of overclocking difference.

No dust, because that takes awhile… Good airflow design also helps. 2 holes asking for 2 more fans…

My only problem with open cases is hard drive noise. Fast data access and speed do not exist, unless you have room to quiet them.

si0dine said:
Why'd you name your case after a cooler master addon?

originally (before i knew there was a CM fan called Crossflow) its what I called it because I was using a BUNCH of AC fans that were blowing across it

Anyone know of fans that flow as well as the Silenx 120 X 38mm fans that are as quiet?

I have been messing around with the front. I took out the analog Watts gauge (basically worthless) and put in its place a Digital temp gauge from a Microfly

Im really impressed with the case modding you did....
anything with a full sized MOB is great.... i just built an alienware... with a CFX-3200.... and its fckin huge...... also just got a qpack... also no that impressed with the size compared to my shuttles.... I like small and quiet.... I love the case >>>double thumbs up<<<<

:eek:

How is the sound out of the Slot load DVD-R???
as loud as a laptop??... and mods done to quiet it??...... I have loud DVD now... was wondering if those where less loud??

Aman

I heard that also before. BUT this one is very quiet. I do have it mounted by rubber grommets and its between the mobo and the tray (my design to keep it quiet)

Origionally I had a black NEC one but I broke it (dropped). This one is a external Lite-On one that I took out of its enclosure.

And thanks for the compliment.

Wow - that is incredible. It is obviously very well designed and thought out. Enjoy it and congrats on a great looking case! :)

Kudos, looks nice. I did almost exactly the same layout a couple of years back. Size is almost identical. ... Yours seems to be way more friendly to assemble, though ;) - very nice layout of all components and cooling!

One question, though: Are you sure it would fit 8800GTXs? AFAIK they are longer than an ATX mobo is wide... :confused:

Grand job!

Back