32GB ECC RAM
120GB SSD (intel) Windows
120GB SSD (intel) Mac OS X
Samsung BX2440 1080P Monitor

Software:
AMD 11.10 Release
AMD Cap 4

Issue:

On the 11.9 I was able to launch BF3 fullscreen at 1080p 60hz (with a 5870).
I've got the monitor set to 60hz in CCC, game is defaulting to 100hz, however if you make any settings changes or alt - tab you get refresh out of range. If you change to 1080p 60hz, it'll apply and appear to be ok, then it prompts for a save.. out of range.

Any ideas?

I've deleted the settings for BF3 in the User folder (forced reset of video options) and the game picks up right back where I started from.

I've had the same issue since the official BF3 launch (didn't happen in the beta).

Running Dual 4870s in Crossfire on my NEC EA231EMi
On 11.10 and Cap 4

My game defaults to 60Hz,but displays as if its interlaced so I'm forced to do 50Hz (59Hz does the "interlaced" view as well)

Every time a new map loads, I change any graphics settings (not resolution or frequency), or I relaunch BF3, the setting resets to 60Hz again. (forcing me to have to keep changing settings). Although alt-tabbing does not

I thought it was just my display acting up... and it would all be fine if BF3 remembered to set the frequency but it doesn't. I guess this issue with BF3 not remembering some settings is more common than I thought.

Last edited:
yeah, I'd switch out my monitors with 4 different models and had same issues.

Not helpful in any way whatsoever, but why would anyone play a fps games on a 60hz monitor heh. Kind of defeats the purpose of a gaming rig.

Not helpful in any way whatsoever, but why would anyone play a fps games on a 60hz monitor heh. Kind of defeats the purpose of a gaming rig.

I don't even get 60fps with my dual 4870s in BF3 ;)

60hz on an lcd is not the same as 60hz on a CRT, it's actually quite normal.

Well ok. I play games at 120hz on my CRT. And ya, I dont own BF3 but anyways. :p

60hz on a lcd still means the max fps you can have is 60.... All I am saying is, I dont understand gamers who buy $300 video cards and cpu's to run a monitor at 60hz. You are completely negating the speed of the system running a 60hz monitor.

Last edited:
Well ok. I play games at 120hz on my CRT. And ya, I dont own BF3 but anyways. :p

60hz on a lcd still means the max fps you can have is 60.... All I am saying is, I dont understand gamers who buy $300 video cards and cpu's to run a monitor at 60hz. You are completely negating the speed of the system running a 60hz monitor.

You don't fully understand the big picture. Regardless of what you say, you can't see the difference between 60fps and 120fps. That being said, if your machine has enough power to keep the fps pegged 60 due to v-sync limits, it doesn't matter if your machine can display 120fps because you can't see the difference anyway. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with a 120hz monitor if it can refresh pixels fast enough to maintain a flawless image. The reason why most monitors are 60hz instead of 120hz is that in order to refresh the pixels 120 times compares to 60 means the pixels have to be to switch on and off twice as fast which is very difficult to do so you end up with slower pixel response time.

What I'm getting at is that as technology improves, I'm sure you will eventually see 120Hz monitors in large sizes with fast pixel response times but as it stands, there are superior 60Hz monitors in regards to this and since your eyes can't tell the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz, I would rather faster pixel response on a 60Hz monitor with a machine that's capable of keep my fps pegged at 60 all of the time.

And in your case, if you're using a CRT, you don't have to worry about pixel response times, however you do have to worry about convergence issues as well as inferior contrast ratios and brightness. There are trade-offs to LCD and CRT technologies.

I was able to get the game to properly launch by downgrading to the 11.9's and CAP4.
I end up having a decent frame rate drop though.

I was able to get the game to properly launch by downgrading to the 11.9's and CAP4.
I end up having a decent frame rate drop though.

I had that problem too until the official 11.10 WHQL's came out. I never could get BF3 to run on the preview 2 or 3 drivers, even with CAP 4. Mine would lock up on the opening DICE intro video. The WHQL 11.10's fixed that though, however I still don't see proper crossfire usage. One GPU only uses about 15-20% while the other stays pegged at 98-99% usage.

Are you living in the real world? Availability of 120 hz monitors is extremely limited. I would love to have one so I wouldn't have to deal with tearing over 60 hz but I just can't justify the expenditure at the moment.

My personal goal with framerates is to maintain a minimum framerate of 60 FPS or very close.

Back