• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Crossfire owners......advice please

magoo

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
14,700
I'd like to Crossfire two 3870s.

I have a Q6600 and DDR2 Ram.

Motherboard please. Goal is OC of the Quad to 3.1 GHz.

I don't know anything about Crossfire. I've always had SLi, but this 3870 is pretty cool and I'd like to see what two could do for me.
 
easy, x38 or x48 chipsets. the x38's use to really suck at overclocking; duals and quads. bios updates have really helped. the x48 chipset is not very different from the x38. buy smart and put down money on the cheaper x38 boards.
 
I'd say skip X38; either go all the way with X48, or save your money with P35. It has three downsides compared to the X48 at the top:
1) PCIe v1.1 instead of v2.0. Big deal.
2) x16/x4 Crossfire instead of x16/x16. Again, big deal.
3) No peer-to-peer writes, so you have to use the bridge for Crossfire- no lower end cards. Yet again, boo hoo.
 
I'd say skip X38; either go all the way with X48, or save your money with P35. It has three downsides compared to the X48 at the top:
1) PCIe v1.1 instead of v2.0. Big deal.
2) x16/x4 Crossfire instead of x16/x16. Again, big deal.
3) No peer-to-peer writes, so you have to use the bridge for Crossfire- no lower end cards. Yet again, boo hoo.

Would the PCI-e 4x on the second slot make a difference in performance, compared to the dual 16x????
The two boards I'm looking at: ASUS P5K Pro (P35) and the Gigabyte X38 DS4......
the DS4 has the advantage of dual 16x, I don't know how it OCs.
The P5K Pro is much cheaper.
 
Back
Top