Crossfire Longevity

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Jul 11, 2001
Messages
12,831
I know that good crossfire performance depends on good driver support, but how well does this extend into the future? Obviously as Crossfire remains a big part of ATI/AMD’s high-end GPU strategy they will continue to support it, but when they are optimizing crossfire performance for the latest line of GPU’s, does that also help with crossfire performance using older GPU’s?

It is really difficult to get an idea of how well a crossfire setup ages, in a large part due to the fact that you almost never see crossfire setups included in benchmarks unless it is using the very latest cards. You would be very unlikely to read an article today that would include results from a 3870x2 (for example).

Is anyone here still using older cards in crossfire? I still see a few people using 3870x2’s but that’s about it. I’d love to see how an old x850 crossfire setup would work or crossfire using X1950XT’s for example, and if those cards continue to show proper crossfire scaling even though they are years old and are obviously not a focus of current driver optimizations.

Part of the reason for my curiosity is that I’m probably going to get another 4870x2 and then likely use that setup for quite some time. The setup will have plenty of raw power but performance with quad crossfire will be even more driver dependent than regular crossfire and I’d hate for the setup to become obsolete due to driver issues long before the hardware itself isn’t fast enough.
 
ati stops supporting older products at some point. support for anything of the x18xx/x19xx cards ended at catalyst 9.3. and crossfire with x1900xt + master card hasn't worked properly for me since 8.11.
 
ati stops supporting older products at some point. support for anything of the x18xx/x19xx cards ended at catalyst 9.3. and crossfire with x1900xt + master card hasn't worked properly for me since 8.11.

Well I'm familiar with the shift of many products over to the legacy driver, which is still updated but only once every 6 months or so. I would think the 9.8 driver would work since it is the newest legacy driver, having replaced 9.3.

So any crossfire using a master card no longer works with current drivers?
 
Well older products stop getting supported at some stage and new games usually have minimum directx requirements which eventually make cards obsolete anyway.

Crossfire in general is well supported and will be in the future, there's optimisations you can make to drivers to play well with certain games but in general game support will always be there because it's inherent in the drivers, its like SLI for Nvidia even if a game isn't officially supported in crossfire you can use a generic profile you build yourself to make crossfire work, it doesn't require special code, the driver just understand how to use both cards in any rendering situation, all you get from specific game patches or driver tweaks is slightly better scaling.

CrossfireX (Quadfire) scales really badly I wouldn't recommend that as a future upgrade path because it's diminishing returns past just 2 cards, a 3rd is often a good improvement still but a 4th will often cause little to no improvement and sometimes causes crossfire to break.
 
Well I'm familiar with the shift of many products over to the legacy driver, which is still updated but only once every 6 months or so. I would think the 9.8 driver would work since it is the newest legacy driver, having replaced 9.3.

So any crossfire using a master card no longer works with current drivers?

after 8.11 the display starts blinking in and out with cf enabled.
 
Back
Top