• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Crossfire in 2016 - Mid year --- Poll

Rate Crossfire mid year 2016


  • Total voters
    43

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Oct 19, 2004
Messages
11,934
How would you rate AMD's crossfire functionality at this time?

I have a single Fury X and can pick up a second for $350ish at jet.com with 15% off coupon code. Weighing options and seeking crossfire feedback from users with recent real world experience. If you don't have a crossfire setup, or haven't used one in the last year or two, then your vote should be the bottom option.
 
Xfire Fury X in 2016?.. That should be illegal.. too much GPU horsepower to be limited by 4GB vRAM sadly... Waste of money in my opinion..
 
Oc'd hawaii in cf @ 4k (xfx 290x 8gb in my case) was too close in performance to fury x cf from the benches i read, and actually better in the cases where 4gb was a limitation. Never actually tried fury x cf. Frostbite games run great in cf but my most played game currently (doom) doesn't support mgpu. Happier with the single 1070. Revisited wolfenstein-another non mgpu title-and am enjoying it @ 4k with higher frames than before.
 
I ended up selling off a card because I was tired of seeing little to no use out of the second card one to many times.
 
I guess I'm in the minority. I'm running 290X crossfire and have had zero problems with it for over one year now. I play Witcher 3, Fallout 4 primarily with a RTS thrown in there on occasions. No need to upgrade to anything anytime soon because I'm able to max out all settings on any game at 1440p with no issues and great FPS
 
Crossfire RX 480 owner here. No real issues so far. Also playing games quite smoothly 1440p @ 110hz.
 
the state of cf right now is an either/or. either the game supports mgpu and you will get a performance boost, or the game doesn't support mgpu where you get no performance boost.
 
Have dual 280x's and it's worked for everything I've played for a while now. Allows me to max everything out in Doom w/ Vulkan.
 
everything I play that's not ogl (doom) or an ubisoft title (Rainbow Six Siege and The Division) works great.
 
Archea, if I were you, I'd look at the games you play the most, or are most interested in playing, and see if they work in crossfire. Then make a judgement whether it will be worth it to you.

Have dual 280x's and it's worked for everything I've played for a while now. Allows me to max everything out in Doom w/ Vulkan.

Doom doesn't support multi-GPU in Vulkan. You can max everything with one 280x in Vulkan.
 
I always wondered if you Avg is 70 FPS and mins are 40... If you free sync/gsync/vsync to 60, would your minimums go up?

I guess I could try this with a single GPU...
 
I always wondered if you Avg is 70 FPS and mins are 40... If you free sync/gsync/vsync to 60, would your minimums go up?

I guess I could try this with a single GPU...

I wouldn't think so. Freesync/GSync get rid of screen tearing and smooth out the frame rate. I wouldn't think they improve minimum frames. Just make it feel that way.
 
I always wondered if you Avg is 70 FPS and mins are 40... If you free sync/gsync/vsync to 60, would your minimums go up?

I guess I could try this with a single GPU...

it doesn't improve your frame rate, it does exactly what maddness said and if your minimum frame rate drops below the threshold set on the monitor it's eye cancer.

basically how it works with old vsync if your framerate was 60 or above it stayed at 60, if it dropped to 59 your frame rate dropped to 30(monitor stays at 60hz and thus you get tearing), if your frame rate goes below 30 it drops to 15fps.. freesync/gsync match your monitor refresh rate to your frame rate within a certain hz window.. i think freesync doesn't go below 37hz(?), not sure on gsync. both of which are completely different from dynamic vsync where vsync turns on at 60fps and turns off if the frame rate drops below 60fps.
 
Last edited:
it doesn't improve your frame rate, it does exactly what maddness said and if your minimum frame rate drops below the threshold set on the monitor it's eye cancer.

basically how it works with old vsync if your framerate was 60 or above it stayed at 60, if it dropped to 59 your frame rate dropped to 30(monitor stays at 60hz and thus you get tearing), if your frame rate goes below 30 it drops to 15fps.. freesync/gsync match your monitor refresh rate to your frame rate within a certain hz window.. i think freesync doesn't go below 37hz(?), not sure on gsync. both of which are completely different from dynamic vsync where vsync turns on at 60fps and turns off if the frame rate drops below 60fps.

I know how vsync works.

I was just curious if artificially dropping your avg (ideally by gsync for me...) by limiting your maximum below your non-restricted avg helps minimum frame rates.
 
I sold off my Xfire setup earlier this year, (290s) got tired of the constnat issues/bugs facing mutl-gpu setup. Either the driver was fucked, or the devs didn't do a good job of coding the game. Eithier way, not worth the time.

Add in the massive amount of heat and noise, for the money I spent on that setup, it never felt smooth or fun.

Went to a single 1070 setup and coulnd't be happier.
 
I sold off my Xfire setup earlier this year, (290s) got tired of the constnat issues/bugs facing mutl-gpu setup. Either the driver was fucked, or the devs didn't do a good job of coding the game. Eithier way, not worth the time.

Add in the massive amount of heat and noise, for the money I spent on that setup, it never felt smooth or fun.

Went to a single 1070 setup and coulnd't be happier.

1070 is a great card. I wish AMD had something this gen to compete with it.
 
Back
Top