• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Crossfire idle clocks question

FaRKle0079

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 11, 2005
Messages
2,686
Hey guys,

So I've noticed that one of my 5850s in CF idles a lot higher (~55C). I checked the clocks and it idles at 400/1000 instead of 157/300. I haven't OC'd it or anything. The other 5850 idles at the right speed and due to ULPS the clocks are read correctly at 157/300.

Is the primary card supposed to idle at 3d clock speeds in crossfire? I tried searching google, but nothing really said anything about this. If it's not supposed to idle that high how can I get it to idle at the proper speeds? Thanks.
 
Using multiple monitors the primary card should idle at 400/1000 (although this varies based on your card's base memory clock speed.) This is part of the fix to eliminate flashing on multiple monitors in 2D. I think this was introduced in 10.3.

GPUs other than the primary should be turned off or idling very low in crossfire at the desktop.

Using a single monitor the primary GPU should go back to idling at 157/300 using just 2D desktop apps. If you are using a single monitor then your idle temps are indeed too high.
 
Using multiple monitors the primary card should idle at 400/1000

Yeah I'm aware that 400/1000 is normal for multiple monitors, but I'm only running a single display.

I checked the BIOS of my Sapphire card (the one that's idling at 400/1000) and compared it to my OEM BBATI card. The Sapphire BIOS has the same clock profiles as the BB ATI, so I'm really stumped as to why it never idles at 157/300.

Any suggestions for a fix? Do I need to RMA this card (I just got this card back from Sapphire for a faulty fan)?
 
I noticed that on my 5850 CF the other day too. It happened after I upgraded to the 10.5 betas. My guess is PowerPlay isn't completely functional. If the idle temps/power consumption are important, try another set of drivers (what set are you using now?).
 
. If the idle temps/power consumption are important, try another set of drivers (what set are you using now?).

I was running the 10.5 betas but now I'm running the official release 10.4's. I had the same issue with cat 10.3 too.
 
Any suggestions for a fix? Do I need to RMA this card (I just got this card back from Sapphire for a faulty fan)?
Why not switch your cards around and make the other one, which is working correctly, your primary? Then you can see if the behavior is specific to that card.
 
Why not switch your cards around and make the other one, which is working correctly, your primary? Then you can see if the behavior is specific to that card.

Yeah I'm actually going to try that tonight when I move my rig over to a Silverstone FT02 :)
 
UPDATE: So I guess in crossfire the primary card is supposed to idle at the multi-monitor clock. I swapped the BBATI 5850 into the primary slot and it's still idling at 400/1000.

As for the temps, now that I've swapped everything into an FT02 instead of 55C it idles at 45C. The secondary card is idling at only 24C, which is quite incredible.
 
I'm using two 5970s in crossfire, and when I switch to a single monitor only my idle clocks are 157/300.

Using multiple monitors the idle clocks go up to 400/1010.

I don't know what would be causing what you're experiencing.
 
Back
Top