• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Crossfire giving me issues

kevineugenius

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 9, 2006
Messages
1,415
Running an Asus P6T, Vista Premium x64, and two Asus 4870 1gb cards always at 1920x1200 with full detail and graphic settings maxxed. With crossfire enabled, the system runs slower and every once in a while will blue screen with the ati driver showing as the file that caused the problem. I've messed with drivers, checked heat, but other than those two things I don't really know what else to try. I'm about to just ebay the second card and not mess with anymore.
 
Have you checked the BIOS to make sure the PCIe lane is running at full speed? That happened to me and I found out my second lane was running at 4x instead of 16x. Crossfire apparently has issues with that.

What driver version are you using also?
 
full computer specs would be a great help.

PSU/CPU info

if overclocked etc...
 
I'll check the BIOS and driver version when I get home though the driver should be the latest available from amd.com; P6T is running 12gb tri-channel with an i7 920. 750w PSU with an additional 2 PCI-e plugs from a Thermaltake 250w GPU PSU. The PSU on the second card might be kind of weak now that I really think about it, though a 4870 shouldnt go over 250 watts, though the PSU might not put out 250 watts all the time either... Not sure if the 750 would power them both along with the rest of the system either.
 
Rezzing an old thread, still unresolved; life just got really busy and I haven't had time to fuss with this system since it works well enough on a single card. Couple new games do get bogged down though, so I'd like the second card running...

I found nothing in the BIOS indicating the PCI speed, just PCIe Spread Spectrum which is set to auto. ATI driver version is 8.62-090510m bla bla, direct3d 8.14.10.0671, OpenGL 6.14.10.8673.

Everything I've looked up on power req's for these cards says under load they should be between 166-195w, and the Thermaltake GPUPSU I have is rated for 250w. I know the 250w isn't a constant and full-load number, but it should be able to handle something less than 166 most of the time with the occasional spike to less than 200... right?

There's no overclocking on the system and according to my Logitech keyboard readout, the CPU and RAM don't get taxed during the slowdowns, though I don't know how accurate that meter is.
 
sounds like you have a defective card...

thats what I had with my first 4890 CF..
 
Back
Top