• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Crossfire different 7970s

TearTaker

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 28, 2011
Messages
134
I bought a reference Sapphire 7970 when they released, and am about to receive a XFX Black Edition- the reference one. I'm fairly confident they will play well together correct? I know the Sapphire is reference and pretty sure the XFX is reference.

So my question is, since both of the cards have different stock clocks, such as the Sapphire being 925 and the XFX card being 1000, should I flash a Sapphire bios onto the XFX one so the clocks will always be the same? Or should I simply change the clocks of the XFX to match the Sapphire? Thanks for any input.
 
They will be fine together. I would suggest running them at the same clocks, the slower card will limit you and the GPU usage will not max out on the faster one.
 
Cool, thanks. That would be the easier and better way more than likely. Thank you again.
 
They will be fine together. I would suggest running them at the same clocks, the slower card will limit you and the GPU usage will not max out on the faster one.

Yep. That said, these cards are all over the place in terms of OC potential...so don't be too disappointed if one doesn't OC well!
 
Haha I know! I'd be fine if I had to lower my Sapphire reference from CCC limits to the XFX clocks. Thanks guys.
 
You should be fine I have almost that exact setup except my XFX black edition is complete reference. I haven't had any issues that I could tie down to running different brands. The only thing you might run into is a problem with is using some monitoring software if the cards have different chips on them for accessing temperatures and voltages. Like I said I haven't had any issues in this regard
 
Thank you Big Daddy, haha. Does HWMonitor work pretty well with that setup? Any problems you can name that happened to you?
 
Back
Top