• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Crossfire card match essentials?

nakedhand

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 21, 2008
Messages
2,127
So the GPU must be the same, the voltage surely, the clock and memory type and speed too I would reckon. But what else is there to worry about?

The case is that I am looking to pair my:

SAPPHIRE 100247L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102769

with this: *or another fitting Sapphire model apart from the one I already own.

SAPPHIRE 279L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102850

Is that something I should refrain from? The thing is that the model I already have costs $400 here in Denmark now. ...ouch!

Replacing it is not an option, as this is being bought for a media rig I am building atm. Then when I replace the 4870 in my main rig around the time of the Deus Ex 3 release date, I will set it up for crossfire in the media rig. I just really want it to work, and have no experience with crossfire.

All input is greatly appreciated :)
 
You gotta have the exact same card for Crossfire? That seems pretty inconvenient, though I suppose you can just flash the best workable BIOS onto both cards after testing to make sure the specified settings work for each of them.

Just picked up a 4890 for a second x48 rig and as such, I haven't been following the ways of Crossfire at all, ever. For shame!

I had thought that you could go with say... any 4870x2 and any 4890 for Tri-Fire.
 
No you don't you can mix any 4xxx series you want. The fastest card will just perform as slow as the slowest card.
 
Thanks snaggletooth and RADEoN. I had completely misunderstood this, which is great since it saves me a lot of money.

Will it make any sense to get a 1GB version, or does the rule of lowerst spec wins also apply here, hence only drawing upon 512 MB of RAM since the other card doesnt have more than that?
 
No point in getting the 1gb card unless you're going to get another somewhere down the line or going to use the card by itself. Both cards would be limited to the 512mb of your main card.

Edit: I guess you could sell your current 4870 and get 2 1gb cards? would really help if you're pushing the resolution.
 
Thanks snaggletooth and RADEoN. I had completely misunderstood this, which is great since it saves me a lot of money.

Will it make any sense to get a 1GB version, or does the rule of lowerst spec wins also apply here, hence only drawing upon 512 MB of RAM since the other card doesnt have more than that?

It would be a waste of memory/money to pair a 512 card with a 1 gb card. They'd still work together though. Crossfire is not too picky that everything has to match exactly. You'll just be limited by the weakest link in the chain.
 
No point in getting the 1gb card unless you're going to get another somewhere down the line or going to use the card by itself. Both cards would be limited to the 512mb of your main card.

Edit: I guess you could sell your current 4870 and get 2 1gb cards? would really help if you're pushing the resolution.

OK, I see, thanks :)

I will stick to the 512 version, I wont run more than 720p anyway.
 
Back
Top