• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Crossfire bridge question?

Dhampir

n00b
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Messages
37
I just got two XFX's 4890s and I'm wondering are you supposed to use two bridges or just one?
 
Hope OP don't mind but I have a couple questions too.

I also just got two 4890's and was wondering something similar. I will be using these two video cards to run three LCD's and one T.V., do I still use the bridge? If I do, are there longer bridges out there? I don't want my cards right next to each other in the case(tri sli MB).

Thanks
 
One is enough when you only use two cards. The reason for it being two places on the card to connect crossfire is that you can crossfire more than two cards.
 
Hope OP don't mind but I have a couple questions too.

I also just got two 4890's and was wondering something similar. I will be using these two video cards to run three LCD's and one T.V., do I still use the bridge? If I do, are there longer bridges out there? I don't want my cards right next to each other in the case(tri sli MB).

Thanks

as long as you have "crossfireX" disabled you can have more then 2 monitors enabled. if you enable "crossfireX" you can only use up to 2 monitors.
 
as long as you have "crossfireX" disabled you can have more then 2 monitors enabled. if you enable "crossfireX" you can only use up to 2 monitors.

Is the crossfireX setting in the ATI control panel? I'm just wondering if I should move my 4890's closer together so I can attach the dongle so I can crossfireX when gaming. Problem is I like my cards further apart(Looks better and should run cooler). So are there longer dongles or do I have to move my cards closer together?:(
 
you bought $500 worth of video cards only to run 4 monitors? why didn't you just get a 4850x2? without the bridge you don't have crossfire anything available to you. if you wanted 4 mons and to game, you should have purchased one 4890 for gaming and a super cheap secondary ati for display only.
 
you bought $500 worth of video cards only to run 4 monitors? why didn't you just get a 4850x2? without the bridge you don't have crossfire anything available to you. if you wanted 4 mons and to game, you should have purchased one 4890 for gaming and a super cheap secondary ati for display only.

Please reread my post above yours. I do plan on gaming. I just want my three LCD's and one T.V to work without hitch more. I also mentioned above that I wanted my cards farther apart then the dongle allows. I take it from the silence that there is no other way to connect them except having them right on top of each other though? Either way, I will suffice. By the way, they were $390 for the both of them after rebate and cashback.
 
some x58 boards come with longer than standard crossfire bridges. i take it you have an x58 or 790fx based system? you've offered pretty much zilcho info about the rest of your computer.
 
With the latest drivers my HD4850s in Xfire worked better with 2 bridges. Not sure why. With prior drivers (9.4) my cards were not as stable with with 2 so I used one bridge.


I would think that there is a potential for more bandwidth(electricity) with 2 bridges which could possibly heat up the cards. Could be a good thing or bad thing.

Somebody needs to do some research on this. Monitor temps, clock speeds, voltage readings ect.
 
With the latest drivers my HD4850s in Xfire worked better with 2 bridges. Not sure why. With prior drivers (9.4) my cards were not as stable with with 2 so I used one bridge.


I would think that there is a potential for more bandwidth(electricity) with 2 bridges which could possibly heat up the cards. Could be a good thing or bad thing.

Somebody needs to do some research on this. Monitor temps, clock speeds, voltage readings ect.

I was gonna mention this. My ATI Control CrossfireX setting pane says that you have to use both bridges together. I'm assuming this is the correct way to use them.
 
some x58 boards come with longer than standard crossfire bridges. i take it you have an x58 or 790fx based system? you've offered pretty much zilcho info about the rest of your computer.

I didn't know I had to list every part of my system to ask a specific question. However, I have given all info that was needed to ask my question.:D I asked a general question about ATI 48090's. Again, thanks for all the help
 
from this thread, you must understand why you need to provide as much information as possible. this all could have been answered with one post. and you still haven't answered what chipset you're using. there several several chipsets that support triple sli. there are several that support quad crossfire. plenty of posters get sli and crossfire mixed up.
 
I have an XFX 4890 and an MSI 4890. Installed it in an EVGA X58. I was not satisfied with performance of just one card so got the second. The performance in crossfire did not seem better, even with extreme OCs on both cards.

I only have one crossfire bridge connected. It was a PITA to set up the crossfire. I saw a review where they showed a picture of the 4890s with 2 bridged connected. the FPS they showed on that review seemed much better than the FPS i was experiencing.

YOu can see my thoughts at PCper.com under video cards.
 
Back
Top