• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Crossfire 6970 with flashed 6950 or 6970

Soulmetzger

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Aug 10, 2004
Messages
1,334
I've looked around to see if anyone else has tried this with little luck. I already have a 6970 in my main rig and want to crossfire it. The question is, should I get a 6950 and flash it to a 6970 to save money or just buy another 6970? If the answer most of you give is to go with the flashed 6950 will there be any loss in performance compared to a true 6970?

Thx, D
 
dude, I would just save yourself the trouble and grab another 6970 since they can be picked up for about $320 after MIR...

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Radeon-Express-Graphics-R6970-2PM2D2GD5/dp/B004G5YXVC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1299978040&sr=8-3

Yeah it seems like thats the best bet. After a lot of researching it seems that after unlocking to 6970 shaders ONLY yields a minor performance boost ~4%. But if unlocked and then OC'ed to 6970 yields about ~10% boost but there are VRAM issues and frying your card and such. That's just what I've seen from my research and it's making me hesitate on getting a 6950 just to say $80.

Anyone with more experience have any wisdom?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you already have a 6970 get another 6970 since the 6950 uses different memory chips.
 
The memory difference was the main issue i was thinking about. I don't mind paying what I should for the performance I want.

Looks like a second 6970 is in my future.
 
Back
Top