• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Crossfire 6950s or 7970 Eyefinity

fused

n00b
Joined
Dec 11, 2011
Messages
19
Currently, I have two unlocked 2GB 6950s in Crossfire and I'm using them at 6048x1200. I paid $240 per card and I have the option of returning these cards.

Now that the 7970 is so close to release, does anyone know if the performance will be the same as two unlocked 6950s at Eyefinity resolutions using only one 7970?
 
based off the reviews
the 6950s in a pair would still be faster than a 7970 and cheaper though i don't think by that much
 
Yes.. the 7970 appears to be almost as fast as a 6990, depending on which game you are talking about. You can google the benchmarks yourself.
 
Sounds like the 7970 is a safer bet, as I can throw another 7970 in down the road. Thanks for the help!
 
The 7970 should be as or nearly as fast in most applications, and you most likely will have much fewer driver issues with the single card. You will also have an easy expansion path later on. I would definitely recommend the 7970.
 
Doesn't seem like there's a wrong choice here, as those 6950s (pretty much 6970s) are pretty beastly already (The price you got them at is pretty nice also). But yea, sounds like you would appreciate the option of adding another 7970 in. So I guess you're golden. :)
 
I think the 7970 would be a good bet but the problem is they are going to be hard to find and expect price gouging to the extreme on these. 6950s on the other hand can be had for cheap and you can even buy some second hand etc.. to save even more money. Performance is close enough to these configurations that I'd say it depends on if you feel like going through the hassle of trying to secure a 7970 or simply get your gaming on asap with a pair of 6950 or 6970s (if you unlock)
 
to OP

if you can wait a bit for availability of 7970, or if you can snap one very soon, you better return this pair of 6950 immediately.

2x 6950 may be better (not by too much) than reference 7970 for now, but don't forget that the new 7970 almost-guaranteed will overclock much more, also with improvemet AMD drivers it probably gets another +25% or more performance over time just like what happeded in every generation.

And if you really want to stick with Eyefinity, 7970 will definitely support much better (ver 2.0) in a variety of mode.
 
Back
Top