Crossfire 3870's help

crewzen

Gawd
Well I installed two different 3870 ati graphics cards and connected them together.
The only problem I have now is how do I tell if they are working correctly. There is only one showing up in CC and how to you over clock them together or install software separately and then put the crossfire connectors on after I oc them?

no shouting in the forum. if you do have cf enabled, you should see a distinct improvement in frame rate when you play as opposed to one card. some users like to rely on 3dmark, personally i detest the practice. in overclocking, when you enable crossfire in catalyst then unlock overdrive, a drop down menu appears that allows you to select the individual card you with to overclock. there is no need to remove the connectors.

I too have 2x 3870s and there is no real definitive way to see its working (without 3rd party software; see below). All you really have is a check in the CrossfireX box in CCC.
As far as overclocking, some people have said to disable CF and overclock the cards individually then re-enable CF. This did not work for me and the cards would revert back to normal clocks or only one would overclock which defeats the purpose since CF runs at the speed of the slowest card. To get around this I flashed the bios with a gigabyte bios (I have Diamond cards) to run the cards at 830/1200 (core/mem), and it has worked flawlessy. Make sure you get rivatuner so you can turn up the fan speeds. I have mine set at 67% fan speed for the top card and 60% for the bottom card, and they still are silent. Those speeds are setup in rivatuner so that it loads that when windows starts.

Also rivatuner has the monitoring that will show you GPU activity, which you can use to make sure CF is indeed running. Just start up a game (must be full screen!) and have rivatuner monitor the bottom card (it can only monitor 1 card at a time).

As far as overclocking, some people have said to disable CF and overclock the cards individually then re-enable CF.

whoever told you that does not own ati cards. the only way to overclock multiple ati gpu's with catalyst is to have crossfire enabled. again to the op, once you enable cf and unlock the overdrive pane, there is a drop down menu that will let you select individually which card you want to overclock.

this is how you know you have 2 video cards running in crossfire.
I am running 2x HIS 3870's

no shouting in the forum. if you do have cf enabled, you should see a distinct improvement in frame rate when you play as opposed to one card. some users like to rely on 3dmark, personally i detest the practice. in overclocking, when you enable crossfire in catalyst then unlock overdrive, a drop down menu appears that allows you to select the individual card you with to overclock. there is no need to remove the connectors.

opps I thought caps was shouting. sorry. I was just trying to get someones attention.

Thanks for the help. Im up and running at 850 and 1920x1440. all high settings.

Thanks again.

Technically, since he didnt use all caps, he isnt shouting. He is just making sure all the old timers can see his message...

Man, maybe I was just unlucky then. When I used Overdrive to overclock my cards, they would test at the speed I set but when you hit apply they went right back to stock. I was like "ok maybe thats just powerplay," so I load up a game and still 777/1125 clocks. Same when I tried amdgpuclock and rivatuner. A few people in other forums with the same problem as me said that disabling CF and overclocking let them keep the clocks. While others had to be more elaborate and disable CF and move their monitor to be on the card they overclocked.

Just glad you got the easy route lol. I think im going to drop my memory timings a bit and up the core since the memory increase did not seem have near the effect the core increase did.

Yes I was very lucky. For a change. Normaly I have to realy thrash through things to work properly. Its simple things I have problems with, like making a picture of my screen and posting it!

Back