Crossfire 290x, one possibly overheating?

LaCuNa

Limp Gawd
Hello hard members!

I've got 2 MSI 4g gaming 290x video cards. Yesterday playing AOC with max settings, one of the cards reached 93 degrees C. That's too hot for me. The other was around 75 degrees or so. An almost 20 degree difference is huge, especially when they are both showing the same GPU load during the game.

I'm thinking maybe one of them needs the HSF removed, and some new TIM paste applied? Might that help? Can't be hassled to remove a card and try to RMA, it will take forever especially where I live.

Ideas? thoughts guys?

Thanks all, good day :cool:

How much space is separating both cards? More than likely it's the open air design of the coolers causing the overheating. The top card is blowing hot air into the back of the bottom card, and the hot air rises back into the top card.

My board has 3 PCI-E slots. One card is in top slot number# 1, other card is bottom slot #3, with a gap of a whole PCi-E slot between them.

In the other PC they were in, they were directly ontop of one another and yes that was causing massive overheating, but like i said now there is a whole slot between them.

It sounds like you have the same layout as me. I had to ghetto rig a fan to blow into the feet of the cards. With the summer months coming, the idea of watercooling is sounding better and better

It sounds like you have the same layout as me. I had to ghetto rig a fan to blow into the feet of the cards. With the summer months coming, the idea of watercooling is sounding better and better

QFTMFT (quoted for the motherf*cking truth)

even with this twin frozr cooler from MSI, i'm thinking bout adding a custom water cooler.

Do you know if they would fit an MSI card? Is the MSI 4g gaming 290x a refrence design besides the HSF?

anyone know?

thanks all, good day :)

Try putting the card with the highest voltage on the bottom. Are you using the default fan configs? If you are you should try a custom fan curve in Afterburner.

Back