Cross-check files, win & bsd?

Ubyr

Limp Gawd
I need to verify files copied from a win box to a bsd box. I know how to use comm for filename lists, but in this case I need to compare file sizes too, to make sure no files got partway copied. (Used ftp to copy, so a partial would leave the incomplete file & not get overwritten on the next copy.)

Should I try to make a text list with filename and size, & comm that? Not sure how well that would work... Is there a better way?

tia

(Cross-posted to programming.)

The best way to verify that the file is identical on both ends is with MD5 or PGP file checksums.

It will be painfully obvious if the checksums don't match.

Any software that'll check the files across OSes, or an easy way in both OSes to generate a list of filename & checksum?

One of the main problems I see with this is formatting... I can make the lists, but for a compare, they have to be identical. I forsee a lot of manual file editing in my near future. :(

The BSD utility md5 (at least in OpenBSD) will do it for you - you can just point it at a directory.

Under Cygwin on Windows, you can do the same (except I think it's called md5sum). Under Win32 without Cygwin, I'm not sure - but there's got to be lots of utilities through a google search.

UMCPWintermute said:
The best way to verify that the file is identical on both ends is with MD5 or PGP file checksums.

It will be painfully obvious if the checksums don't match.
^ This is very much correct. I agree.

thx for the input guys. It's all done now, had no choice over xfer method, & went to try md5sum... was going to take 10+ hours to do one of four drives, in windows! I ended up just doing a comm on heavily manipulated dir & ls outputs. Worked out fine.

Back