• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

critique my shuttle build.

looks decent, but with a shuttle you can go with an oem cpu and save a bit. here's a 3700 for 186 bux.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=A64-3700CF

also, i'd spend about 30 dollars more and triple the storage space, especially being sff.

here's xp pro full product with coa for 69 bux, disc will say 'dell' on it but otherwise the full deal, i've bought through these vendors before. installed one today, in fact.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=477480/qlty=o

and with sp2 it's 92 bux -

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=4197922/qlty=o



p.s. i've placed several orders through ewiz and they've been equal to newegg on speed.


sorry shift key fubar'd right now....meh needs a new keyboard
 
Thoughts:
CPU: Get a San Diego. 1 MB Cache, better performance, 3700 I'm sure costs only a *smidge more*
RAM: Nice. Could get OCZ as well, whichever suits you. Corsair/OCZ are both great companies.
OS: Get MCE. Essentially Pro with MCE addon. Strangely enough, CHEAPER too, no matter where you go. ($130 OEM @ Fry's vs $300 for Pro).
HDD: WDs, especially tha tone, is definately fast.
Case: Good. Quiet, PSU very powerful, nice design.
Burner: While LITE-ON is supposed to be the best of the best, I have never really owned one myself. Silence / noise level is of BIG priority to me, and from my experience, Pioneers make the quietest drives while still staying near the top. On the flip side, Plextors make the FASTEST (and also the NOISIEST=[) burners that I have ever used.
GPU: Great GPU. By default, nVidia's are known to be quiet. However, what is your intent for the SFF - Gaming or just general use? If General use, then look for a 7600GS that is passive. The CPU fan will draw air in from the front/sides and draw air over the heatsinks for the GPU. Gaming - then stick with this. The fan will suck air in from the side panels and then blow it up, only to get sucked in once more by teh CPU fan to be exhausted out the back.

One recommendation I would make (extreme): Use tin snips or cutters to remove the big grille that the heatsink presses up against on the back panel. It is fairly restrictive. Removing it can increase airflow/help reduce temps a little bit.

Let me know how it goes ;)
 
spend the extra ~$20 on the 3700+ diego, its well worth it. looks good to me. i will be picking up that shuttle soon to replace my Qpack. let us know how it goes.
 
What didn't you like about the QPack? I thought it'd be nice, ATX PSU, 120mm exhaust... ???
 
Well I knwo that... but it has by far probably the best design in terms of cooling/PSU...
 
Hmm... got a point there. All L1As all over the place, and maybe a Seasonic S12, and you're all set for pretty much anything! ;)
 
acaurora said:
What didn't you like about the QPack? I thought it'd be nice, ATX PSU, 120mm exhaust... ???
shuttles are smaller + better looking :)
 
Soymilk said:
shuttles are smaller + better looking :)

lol. I agree. That's the exact reason why I was torn when chosing a case for my SFF. Ended up choosing the Q-Pack, simply because I feel like I'm gonna be doing a lot of upgrades in the future.... and the fact that I don't have to cut the side of my case to fit in a BEEFY heatsink video card.

I almost picked up the SN25
 
Back
Top