critique my OC build please

I would like to go far with an oc z170 gaming rig so I would like to get your opinions on this build as to wether out not i should "add" this or "change" this or "take away" that. I am not trying to go for the best of the best of everything I would just like my dollars to go far if you guys know what I mean. So here is my current with list:

z170 Asrock oc formula MoBo

trident Z 2 x 8gb 4000mhz ddr4

i5-6600k cpu

1070 gtx

3 x 256gb samsung 950 pro ssd (in raid 0)

cpu and gpu waterblock with 2 x 420mm rads, swiftech 35x pump, with 4 x 200mm fans in pull.
(loop order would be CPU -> GPU -> pump-> rad -> rad-> (cpu))

Current rig wont OC ram or CPU well at all so I want to actually buy quality parts and reuse what i already have where i can

MSI z170-a Pro
6600k i5
256 samsung 950 pro
970 gtx (gaming on 1080p would like to step up to 1440 or 4k)
360mm AIO cpu only can only OC to 4.6 at 1.415-1.425 v
adata 4x8gb ram kit 2400mhz (tried oc to 3000 @ 1.4v and 125 blck with no success and then gave up)
sound blaster x-fi fatality sound card (PCIe)

Please take a look and tell me what you think and what you guys would do. Thanks!

Your new incarnation might not OC either, I would get the Asrock and see what results there are then, definitely a better board.

Then I would make a decision of hardware upgrades depending on the results, 3 SSD in raid 0 is unnecessary, I used to raid them 2 x 256 940 pro with WD raptors in raid 0 for data then switched to WD Black Enterprise spinners in raid 0.

Hardware is so fast these days I now use Xeons 8 core and SSD's without raid. You can always upgrade graphics card later.

POINT IS: You might not need to spend as much as you think you might.

Ditch the 4000MHz RAM. It is very unlikely that you'll get that RAM to run at those speeds. Find some 3000MHz or 3200MHz modules. Less compatibility headaches.

That CPU voltage is nuts! Is that from an auto-oc or manual tuning?

Don't OC via BLCK with a K chip. It is unnecessary and can cause quite a bit of stability problems.

As python134r stated, putting those 950's in nRAED-0 is a waste. Get the biggest one that you can afford, and call it a day. I have the 256GB 950 Pro. It fits my Windows 10 install, and 3-4 games that I'm currently playing. Get another big normal SSD for other things you want quick access to, and then a big spinner for storage.

You also don't need 2x 420 radiators. The 6600k and 1070 don't put out enough heat to come close to saturating a single radiator of that size, even with hefty OC's.
If you're pushing for some high CPU clocks, make sure to get a motherboard that someone has made a vrm/mosfet water block for. The cooler you keep those, then the more stable and possibly higher you can OC.

Back