Critique my new soon to be built gaming rig

Savoy

2[H]4U
Ok so I'm in the planning stage of a new build and I intend to pull the trigger soon. This machine's main sole purpose is to be gaming. I will do other things with it here and there as well but mainly when I fire up this bad boy it will be to play games. I plan to use, for now, my current catleap 1440p 27" 120hz overclocked monitor. I might get the new ROG swift gsync monitor sometime after the holidays or perhaps wait for something newer/better in the spring. Not sure yet about that. I may also jump on the 3k/4k gaming bandwagon down the road at some time but again for the here and now I plan to game at 1440p with as high a fps as I can muster with all eye candy maxed out.

As you can see from my sig I tend to keep the core of my system for a while these days and plan to probably do the same this time around. Albeit I do tend to upgrade video cards every other generation. The X58 system I built in dec of 09 has seen 3 different video card upgrades.

All that said, please feel free to make suggestions at will. I'm trying to keep the build at no more than $5000.00 including tax and shipping.

Here's my list:

COOLER MASTER Cosmos II (RC-1200-KKN1) Black Tower Case

CORSAIR AX1200i Digital ATX 1200W Power Supply w/ Modular Cables, 80 PLUS®

INTEL Core™ i7-5930K Six-Core, 3.5 - 4.0 GHz

ASUS X99-Deluxe, LGA2011-3, Intel® X99,

CORSAIR 16GB (4 x 4GB) Vengeance® LPX PC4-21300 DDR4 2666MHz CL15 (15-15-15-36) 1.2V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC

CORSAIR H110 Hydro CPU Liquid Cooling System, 2x 140mm

SAMSUNG 1TB 850 Pro Series SSD

WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB WD Black (WD1003FZEX),

3x EVGA 980GTX SC (running tri sli)

That's the bulk of it. Feel free to suggest make suggestions on changes but please explain why if you do. If you guys need more information from me just ask.

Thanks.

Oh and I will be overclocking the CPU but just running the factory OC on the video cards.

Looks fine to me. More than enough PSU, 40 pcie lanes, and SSD overkill.

Have fun storming the castle!

Sounds pretty amazing to me. Overkill sure, but I like overkill. Just a note that tri-SLI doesn't gain you much gaming performance and often times even hurts it. I was looking to go tri myself and have since discounted it until Nvidia figures that out. You might want to check this out before pulling the trigger: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-GTX-980-3-Way-and-4-Way-SLI-Performance

By the looks of your proposed system budget isn't likely a big concern and you're just buying the system you want, but if you are on a budget, you could save some money by going with 2 way SLI and get the about the same performance, probably better as you would have more thermal room to overclock them due to the extra space between the cards. You could use the saved money for a custom water cooling setup that could get you even more real world performance too if you're into that sort of thing.

If you do go 2 way instead, you could again save money by going with a 5820k instead of the 5930k as the extra PCI-e lanes wouldn't be fully used. That said you'd get 16x/16x on the 5930k instead of the 16x/8x on the 5820k and that might net you a 2% gain, maybe more with future generations of video cards or for tri-SLI should scaling improve. So at your budget I'd personally stick with the 5930k, but I'm sure as more people chime in you'll see those telling you it's a waste of $$$.

GSkill memory would also save you some $$ too over the Corsair.

I'd go for the ROG Swift for a monitor to put all that horse power use. I love mine.

[H]ard setup anyway you slice it though.

Back