• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Critique my new computer build

tubedogg

n00b
Joined
Mar 8, 2009
Messages
40
Well.. based on your feedback, definitely won't be buying a Dell.
Here is what I'm thinking for the parts.

But first, computer uses:
Programming and web development, always running multiple applications simultaneously, occasionally some VERY disc intensive work (just as creating 20GB rar archives spanning 1,500,000 million files - presently takes ~6 hours). No gaming.

The setup:
Operating System
Windows XP SP3, 32 bit. I realize that this is a huge limiter for this system, I simply can not upgrade to Vista right now due to the amount of custom applications that I have installed.

CPU
i7 920 - http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=020622&cid=CPU.84

Motherboard
ASUS P6T

Hard drive
Veloci Raptor, 300gb
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=022102&cid=HD.443.877

Video Card
Nvidia 8400 GS PCI-Express, transferring from old computer
http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8400.html

RAM
OCZ (OCZ3G1333LV3GK) DDR3 PC3-10666 1333 MHz Gold XTC Triple Channel Kits 3GB (3x1024MB) T/C Kit

** Will upgrade to 6 or 9GB when I upgrade OS
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=020539&cid=RAM.346.983
 
Raptor is only item, that is fail. that price you are better off getting an SSD Drive and 1 TB Green for your OS and storage needs.
 
As said, HD is fail. Do a WD6400AAKS or 6401AALS, or a Black TB drive. A Green drive for OS is a bad suggestion.

Don't see why you can't just shove 6GB in right now (6x1GB usually costs more than 3x2GB).
 
Can you upgrade to 64bit XP?
Personally I would try this:
Make a back up of the hard drive and make sure it works.
Get a vista disk or XP 64 bit disk from a friend or wherever. Copy all registry entries related to the programs. Run the programs and see if they work.

EDIT: Also buy 6GBs now.
EDIT2: Also, isn't creating RAR archives CPU limited not HD limited?
 
Last edited:
Can you upgrade to 64bit XP?
Personally I would try this:
Make a back up of the hard drive and make sure it works.
Get a vista disk or XP 64 bit disk from a friend or wherever. Copy all registry entries related to the programs. Run the programs and see if they work.

EDIT: Also buy 6GBs now.
EDIT2: Also, isn't creating RAR archives CPU limited not HD limited?
So is it possible if I copy C:/Program Files , and import old registry keys, that my programs will work?

How do I isolate the registry keys for the programs btw?

1) Re: harddrive, unfortunately SSD is out of option because I need 250GB storage (that can't go on "cheap" drive), thinking of something like this:
Western Digital Caviar Black (WD6401AALS)

2) RAM, If I install 6GB now, how will Windows know to use 1GB from each stick (so it works in triple channel mode), instead of 2GB from the first stick. Or is what I'm saying irrelevant?
 
So is it possible if I copy C:/Program Files , and import old registry keys, that my programs will work?

How do I isolate the registry keys for the programs btw?

I think it is a possibility so long as the drive letters don't change. Some programs will even work if you just copy and paste the folder (not many though). I can't help you with isolating registry keys though. Someone else will have to answer that. If you try anything, back up your harddrive with some sort of imaging software so you arn't screwed if it fails.
 
Go with the WD6401AALS, as it's only 10% slower than the VelociRaptor.
 
Well.. based on your feedback, definitely won't be buying a Dell.
Here is what I'm thinking for the parts.

But first, computer uses:
Programming and web development, always running multiple applications simultaneously, occasionally some VERY disc intensive work (just as creating 20GB rar archives spanning 1,500,000 million files - presently takes ~6 hours). No gaming.
...

I actually don't see why you don't want a Dell? lol. You have no special needs, unless you just want to build one. The tasks you listed I've been doing on Dells for years, lol, without any problems at all. /shrug Though, I build my gaming systems because Dells suck for such systems. :p

If you want speed, get SSDs... two of them... in RAID0. ;)
 
Windows XP 64-bit. There are drivers available for both the motherboard and video card. WinRar has a 64-bit version, so it would be very beneficial when you create your archives.
 
Back
Top