critique my new build

My P4 is finally starting to show its age in some of the new games, so its time to move on. Considering everything goes better later today (1am here,) I should be able to get a new computer. What do you think? Anything cheaper/better?

Skyhawk MSR-4610 Case $27.99
Xclio 450 watt PSU 24 pin $47.99
Opteron 144 PIB $132
DFI NF4-DAGF $89
G.Skill F1-3200PHU1-1GBNT x2 $142
Western Digital 2000JD Hard Drive $94.90

If you wondered about a video card, things are still up in the air. In fact, everything could change completely because of the video card.

Total: $533.88

think about getting a nicer case. $20 more gets you a Sonata II along with a badass power supply

Yeah, definitely get a better case, maybe even one with a nice built-in power supply. Avoid built-in PSUs made by Antec, though (their better stand-alones are usually fine, however - got one in my PC right now).

I'm also of the persuasion that people building their PCs today should heavily consider putting in 2GB of RAM as opposed to 1... Windows Vista is coming around the corner, and you know what that means... yes, higher memory requirements. Newer games are starting to need it too. I'll soon be putting in another gig in anticipation of Vista...

How much do you want to spend total? If the sky is the limit, grab 2 7800gtx 512s and SLI them with an SLI board. If you want something reasonable, go for the 6800GS around 200 or more preferably the 7800gt for around 300. Under 200, the 6600gt would probably be the best bet if you are on a tight budget

I have a Skyhawk. I wouldn't recommend one to another person. I like the Coolermaster Centurion 5: Great case that's almost totally tooless, and pretty quiet. Only thing bad about it is it makes HD seek noises loud as hell.

LongShotHero said:
How much do you want to spend total? If the sky is the limit, grab 2 7800gtx 512s and SLI them with an SLI board. If you want something reasonable, go for the 6800GS around 200 or more preferably the 7800gt for around 300. Under 200, the 6600gt would probably be the best bet if you are on a tight budget

total price (of the system, not the video card) is key. i only plan on getting one video card.

Back