Critique my choices

miochza

Weaksauce
I already posted this on another forum, but I figure I'll need all the input I can get.

CPU:
D-TEK FuZion Universal CPU Waterblock - 1/2"​
Fans:
3 X 120mm Yate Loon D12SM-12 Case Fan - Black (70.5 CFM, 33 dBA)​
Pump:
Laing D5 Vario/Swiftech MCP655 Inline 12V DC Pump​
Resevoir:
Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Hi-Flo Reservoir​
Tubing:
1/2" ID (3/4" OD) Tygon R-3603 Laboratory-Grade Tubing​
Radiator:
Swiftech MCR-320 "Quiet Power" Series Radiator - Black​
ETC:
8 X Stainless Steel Worm-Drive Hose Clamp (Wide Band w/Liner)​

Is this okay? So far I can get everything from Petra. Is there anything I missed, or some size values that don't match up?

I don't think a res that small will do much for you. I grabbed one of the EK medium ones from Petra's, and works well at low-medium speed. at high speed, it starts vortexing the bubbles back into the loop, which entirely defeats the purpose.

I have a very similar loop. Nice choices.

Hmm I didn't even think that that would be too small of a reservoir... Thats the only one in stock at Petra right now...

actually that res is a top seller, it does a good job at keeping air out of the loop the way its designed. its certainly not going to hurt anything. you don't really even need a res in a water loop, its just to make it easier getting the air out.

CPU block and pump are certainly top choices - best there is really!
Don't have experience with the rest, but I agree in principle that too small a reservoir can cause a lot of air/bubble trouble with a powerful pump - so it is something to watch out for.

I don't think a res that small will do much for you. I grabbed one of the EK medium ones from Petra's, and works well at low-medium speed. at high speed, it starts vortexing the bubbles back into the loop, which entirely defeats the purpose.

I have a very similar loop. Nice choices.

This is the best reservoir in the business and bleeds faster than any reservoir I've ever owned. It's the design that makes bleed/prevent air bubbles from getting sucked down so well. Only cylindrical reservoirs have a tendency to create a vortex. My EK ones exhibit that whenever I pair it up with a powerful pump like my RD-30 or two DDC-2's in series.

I didn't really think that the size of the res matters that much, just a place for air to escape/extra water in the loop.

That being said, the micro-res is dead sexy.

This is the best reservoir in the business and bleeds faster than any reservoir I've ever owned. It's the design that makes bleed/prevent air bubbles from getting sucked down so well. Only cylindrical reservoirs have a tendency to create a vortex. My EK ones exhibit that whenever I pair it up with a powerful pump like my RD-30 or two DDC-2's in series.

Well I know of lots of cylindrical reservoirs that don't have any such problems. Alphacool, Aqua Computer, and Innovatek all make cylindrical reservoirs. The only ones I know that have these kind of problems are the ones that are attached to DDC pumps. The one made by EK looks to me as just a take-off from the original Innovatek ones.

Don't bother with Tygon. Get Masterkeer to save some $$ and have better leak protection IMO.

Rest is great.

I'd get the D12SL-12 not D12SM-12 since they are quieter. Unless you'll be doing major undervolting?

Tygon is great. Worth it? No.

With my 50ft order of Masterkleer I decided to try a foot of Tygon to sample it.

Very nice and soft, bendable, and clear. Still not worth the 200-400% price increase per foot.

Back