Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you or a loved one has an older Kindle, you had better update the device before March 22nd or you won't be able to connect to the internet. If you wait until after tomorrow you will have to update the device manually.

Important: If you do not update your device by March 22, 2016, you will receive the following message on your device: Your Kindle is unable to connect at this time. Please make sure you are within wireless range and try again. If the problem persists, please restart your Kindle from the Menu in Settings and try again. If you see this message on your device on or after March 22, you will need to manually install the latest software update for your device.

The fuck? How hard is it for these lazy fucks to maintain a single legacy server for the next couple years? It's not like there will be lots of traffic, just an occasional update!

I guess I should turn on my old kindle 3, just so I have it in reserve if I need it again.

The fuck? How hard is it for these lazy fucks to maintain a single legacy server for the next couple years? It's not like there will be lots of traffic, just an occasional update!

I guess I should turn on my old kindle 3, just so I have it in reserve if I need it again.

The internets report this is an update to replace an expired certificate authority in the CA root store on the device. If you don't do the upgrade before it expires on your device, you can still download the update on your computer and apply it offline to your kindle. But if you wait, your kindle will refuse to connect to their servers since it's actually processing expiration dates, apparently.

Looks like mine doesn't need the update.

The internets report this is an update to replace an expired certificate authority in the CA root store on the device. If you don't do the upgrade before it expires on your device, you can still download the update on your computer and apply it offline to your kindle. But if you wait, your kindle will refuse to connect to their servers since it's actually processing expiration dates, apparently.

Okay, that's the only remote reason this could make sense. You can't bypass a cert expiration date, that's the whole point!

Alright, if I must :D

That was a close call. I do use my kindle pretty heavy from time to time for reading. I truly prefer paper but some books are way to expensive.
I was trying to read through the Zane Grey books and they are "collectors" items there fore expensive so I bought everything the man wrote on amazon for $0.99

I got no email or snail mail.
Also, did they get rid of the Kindle Lending Library for Prime Members?

I also bought my Kindle second hand, so I wonder if this is still binding to me,
kindle subsidized.jpg

Last edited:
I got no email or snail mail.
Also, did they get rid of the Kindle Lending Library for Prime Members?
They still have the Kindle Lending Library its just not as well advertised. Now that they have Kindle unlimited they are pushing that more. They made it more difficult to find books that are part of the lending library because most of they are part of Kindle unlimited so it says that on the page. This would be fine if all books that are part of Kindle unlimited were in the lending library but that is not the case.

Back