Crispy-fied Sempron

ZeroMaxx

n00b
I just had 2 semprons bite the dust. As in nice scorch mark in the center. No oc'ing. But in my case i bought them as a mobo/cpu combo and stuck them in value systems that I resold. I think they heated up and the seperator (yes seperator, had i known i would have taken them out) expanded enough that the core was no longer in contact with the hs/fan. Am I nuts or anyone else come across this or something similar? I got them from newegg so had no problem returning them but its not the most shining endorsement of my business either. Its the m7vig/sempron 2500+ combo. Any thoughts?

ZeroMaxx said:
I just had 2 semprons bite the dust. As in nice scorch mark in the center. No oc'ing. But in my case i bought them as a mobo/cpu combo and stuck them in value systems that I resold. I think they heated up and the seperator (yes seperator, had i known i would have taken them out) expanded enough that the core was no longer in contact with the hs/fan. Am I nuts or anyone else come across this or something similar? I got them from newegg so had no problem returning them but its not the most shining endorsement of my business either. Its the m7vig/sempron 2500+ combo. Any thoughts?

What HSF the retail unit?...Also dumb question, you took the tape off the TIM pad right...

Also WTF is a seperator...got one on the combine tractor at the farm, never heard of one used on a cpu though...LOL

MD

MD_Willington said:
What HSF the retail unit?...Also dumb question, you took the tape off the TIM pad right...

Also WTF is a seperator...got one on the combine tractor at the farm, never heard of one used on a cpu though...LOL

MD

:D
Funny stuff
u_DR_K13

I wonder if they mean shim=seperator??

in that case shims are only necessary for the older CPGA Athlons and not the newer OPGA XP/Sempron...

MD

The socket A sempron doesn't use a head spreader like the 754 + 939 parts. I have about 100 semprons in the field currently and never had a single problem with the chips.

Yep I got that...Sempron is just the leftover XP's that have been brought out of the "for a rainy day" bin and reconfigured...Like the Applebred's were...

MD

MD_Willington said:

MD

Wow thanx for the insight MD. There was no tape. I said I bought it as a combo so the cpu and hsf were preinstalled with a piece of paper that read "Warranty void if removed" that ran from the hsf to the motherboard. So I left it alone because i assumed the manufacturer knew what they were doing. Yes I meant shim excuse me. I have built hundreds of computers and this is the first time i bought a combo (saved 20$) and the first time i have used a shim. I was wondering if the shim would be the likely culprit of why these things fried.

take a picture and show us what you got, then we can tell you where the problem likely originated. Personally, if you're burning cpus, I'd say the shim is to blame, but without seeing what you're seeing, I can't be certain.

ZeroMaxx said:
Wow thanx for the insight MD. There was no tape. I said I bought it as a combo so the cpu and hsf were preinstalled with a piece of paper that read "Warranty void if removed" that ran from the hsf to the motherboard. So I left it alone because i assumed the manufacturer knew what they were doing. Yes I meant shim excuse me. I have built hundreds of computers and this is the first time i bought a combo (saved 20$) and the first time i have used a shim. I was wondering if the shim would be the likely culprit of why these things fried.

The shim holds heat in and if it's metallic it may short something out...AMD does not really recommend them, usually a retailer will play on a persons fear of cracking a core and suggest a shim...makes them a bit more cash by sticking the shim in there.

I didn't mean to offend you in my first post so I'll apologize if I did..hope were cool now :D

I do use a shim, but it is for my Duron 950 CPGA cpu...

Good luck

MD

MD_Willington said:
The shim holds heat in and if it's metallic it may short something out...AMD does not really recommend them, usually a retailer will play on a persons fear of cracking a core and suggest a shim...makes them a bit more cash by sticking the shim in there.

I didn't mean to offend you in my first post so I'll apologize if I did..hope were cool now :D

I do use a shim, but it is for my Duron 950 CPGA cpu...

Good luck

MD

I’m trying to recall but I think there were two versions of “the shim”. One was thicker then the other. I remember reading where some people had shims just thick enough as to not allow full contact between the HSF and Core.

Hey, they built it, they need to replace it ;)

Thanx for the help guys. I bought it from newegg so there was no prob returning it (its already RMA'd but i get a replacement not money back so when these come i will do what i usually do and void my warranty (hafta get the shim out). I just wanted to make sure before the replacements get here. Oh and no problem MD. But when we go to harvest the back forty next year I will give ya a holler. :D I had a brain lapse when i was typing the question what can I say.

Back