Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.3 Highlights

Updated Crossfire Profiles available for

• Hitman™
  • The Park
Support for

• Hitman™
Performance and Quality improvements for

• Rise of the Tomb Raider™(2)
    • Up to 16% on AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury X Series vs AMD Radeon™ Software Crimson Edition 16.2.
  • Gears of War Ultimate Edition(3)
    • Up to 60% on AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury X series vs AMD Radeon™ Software Crimson Edition 16.2.1
    • Up to 44% on AMD Radeon™ R9 380 series vs AMD Radeon™ Software Crimson Edition 16.2.1
Vulkan™ Support(1): Vulkan™ is the successor to OpenGL and a descendant of AMD's Mantle. Vulkan™ is a powerful "low-overhead" graphics API that gives software developers deep control over the performance, efficiency, and capabilities of Radeon™ GPUs and multi-core CPUs. More information on Vulkan™ can be found at Vulkan - Industry Forged.
Per-Game Display Scaling: A new feature introduced in Radeon™ Settings that allows per game Display Scaling to be set within the Radeon™ Settings Gaming tab under "Profile Options".

Language Menu: A new feature introduced in Radeon™ Settings that allows the end user to select their preferred language from a drop down menu under the "Preferences -> Language" tab.

Two Display Eyefinity: Two Display Eyefinity is now an available option under the Eyefinity tab in Radeon™ Settings.

AMD Crossfire™ Status Indicator: A new feature in Radeon™ Settings that allows users to toggle an AMD Crossfire™ status indicator on their screen when running in AMD Crossfire™ mode.

Updated Social Links: New Social links are now available for Radeon™ Settings home page and have also updated based on geographical region.

Power Efficiency Toggle: A new feature introduced in the Radeon™ Settings Gaming tab for select AMD Radeon™ 300 series and AMD Radeon™ Fury X available under "Global Options". This allows the user to disable some power efficiency optimizations.

AMD XConnect™ technology: This driver provides initial support for external GPU enclosures configured with Radeon™ R9 300 Series GPUs are now supported over Thunderbolt™ 3 (USB-C) connections. AMD XConnect™ technology additionally provides plug'n'play support and an integrated management interface. Base system must have BIOS support for external GPUs (e.g. Razer Blade Stealth).

Resolved Issues

• Core clocks may not maintain sustained clock speeds resulting in choppy performance and or screen corruption (Fixed with new Power Efficiency feature toggled to off)
  • Gears of War Ultimate Edition - Random freezes may be experienced during gameplay
  • Ashes of the Singularity 2.0 Benchmark now supports DirectFlip
  • XCOM 2 flickering textures may be experienced at various game locations
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider™ - The game may randomly crash on launch if Tessellation is enabled
Known Issues

• A few game titles may fail to launch or crash if the Gaming Evolved overlay is enabled. A temporary workaround is to disable the AMD Gaming Evolved "In Game Overlay"
  • Installing via command line may not work for some users. As a workaround please use the default GUI installer
  • League of Legends may experience some graphical corruption on characters death animation in AMD Crossfire™ mode
  • Rift may experience a hang when playing with FRTC and V-Sync enabled. As a work around users are suggested to disable V-Sync
  • Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 may experience some flickering in AMD Crossfire™ mode
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider may experience graphical corruption in some cinematics
  • The Division may experience flickering in AMD Crossfire™ mode
  • Star Wars Battlefront users may experience flicker in AMD Crossfire™ mode on battle and tutorial loading screens
  • Star Wars Battlefront users may experience ground texture issues in certain locations on Survival Hoth missions

Working great have gained like 5fps. no BSOD or Boot Problems here LOL

Reactions: Yakk
like this
most excited about:

Performance and Quality improvements for

• Rise of the Tomb Raider™(2)
    • Up to 16% on AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury X Series vs AMD Radeon™ Software Crimson Edition 16.2.
  • Gears of War Ultimate Edition(3)
    • Up to 60% on AMD Radeon™ R9 Fury X series vs AMD Radeon™ Software Crimson Edition 16.2.1
    • Up to 44% on AMD Radeon™ R9 380 series vs AMD Radeon™ Software Crimson Edition 16.2.1
Vulkan™ Support(1): Vulkan™ is the successor to OpenGL and a descendant of AMD's Mantle. Vulkan™ is a powerful "low-overhead" graphics API that gives software developers deep control over the performance, efficiency, and capabilities of Radeon™ GPUs and multi-core CPUs. More information on Vulkan™ can be found at Vulkan - Industry Forged.
Per-Game Display Scaling: A new feature introduced in Radeon™ Settings that allows per game Display Scaling to be set within the Radeon™ Settings Gaming tab under "Profile Options".

Two Display Eyefinity: Two Display Eyefinity is now an available option under the Eyefinity tab in Radeon™ Settings.

AMD Crossfire™ Status Indicator: A new feature in Radeon™ Settings that allows users to toggle an AMD Crossfire™ status indicator on their screen when running in AMD Crossfire™ mode.
Power Efficiency Toggle: A new feature introduced in the Radeon™ Settings Gaming tab for select AMD Radeon™ 300 series and AMD Radeon™ Fury X available under "Global Options". This allows the user to disable some power efficiency optimizations.
Resolved Issues

• Core clocks may not maintain sustained clock speeds resulting in choppy performance and or screen corruption (Fixed with new Power Efficiency feature toggled to off)

• Ashes of the Singularity 2.0 Benchmark now supports DirectFlip

YES! Hitman optimized, and...

2 Display Eyefinity (y)

Vulkan™ Support(1): Vulkan™ is the successor to OpenGL and a descendant of AMD's Mantle. Vulkan™ is a powerful "low-overhead" graphics API that gives software developers deep control over the performance, efficiency, and capabilities of Radeon™ GPUs and multi-core CPUs.
Product is conformant with Vulkan 1.0 Specification. Vulkan™ and the Vulkan™ logo are trademarks of the Khronos Group Inc
Nice

Very nice, AMD is doing a great job with drivers lately. 2 Display Eyefinity really nice feature.

AMD has really stepped up their game with game ready drivers and overall driver roll outs.

Great News everyone.. just installed these with multi-monitor (W10) and no hardlocks, no black screens, no "dead" PC/video cards.. remind me again why AMD/ATI (RTG) is regarded as having "bad drivers".
/snark

AMD XConnect™ technology: This driver provides initial support for external GPU enclosures configured with Radeon™ R9 300 Series GPUs are now supported over Thunderbolt™ 3 (USB-C) connections. AMD XConnect™ technology additionally provides plug'n'play support and an integrated management interface. Base system must have BIOS support for external GPUs (e.g. Razer Blade Stealth).

Well damn missed this one on first read, that was fast!

Great News everyone.. just installed these with multi-monitor (W10) and no hardlocks, no black screens, no "dead" PC/video cards.. remind me again why AMD/ATI (RTG) is regarded as having "bad drivers".
/snark

Same here, was able to install these in multi-monitor environment and my PC still hasn't caught fire :troll:

But there's a bug in these because I lost all my game profiles from Crimson control panel :cry:

/snark

I've owned plenty of nVidia and AMD/ATI setups, both mobile and desktop, over the course of the last 15 years. Both camps are definitely not without their issues but personally the types of issues I run into are usually completely different. nVidia drivers always seem to have smaller/little annoyances but are way more prevalent like games crashing, random system reboots/BSOD's, features not working or in-game anomalies. On the AMD side they have been larger / further reaching but way less common, I can think of three big ones like displayport connected displays dropping out of eyefinity, cursor corrupting (finally fixed) or being unable to run the catalyst installer to completion. Everyone seems to have different experiences, some claim flawless experiences on both sides. I will say that historically AMD have seemed much better about increasing the performance of their cards via driver optimizations than nVidia both my 4800's, 6900's and R9 cards ended up vastly superior to where they stood at lauch, my nVidia cards have seemed to stay more static or +/- 5%.

Glad to see Mantle support finally, I was a little ashamed that it has taken them so long considering they have been at the fore-front with mantle/vulkan development since the get-go.

As an aside to this, currently on Linux, nVidia is absolutely destroying AMD. The future looks bright with AMDGPU and some of their other Linux initiatives and they've got a HUGE opportunities there, so we'll see what that looks like at the end of the year.

Looking forward to installing these!

So what games exactly could use 2 displays in eye infinity? That's kinda hard to picture a use for

So what games exactly could use 2 displays in eye infinity? That's kinda hard to picture a use for
personally I see it, less about games and more about applications/productivity, its nice to have 2 monitors set up as a single display and span the taskbar across both then use hydra vision to create a custom grid
** using 1 3440x1440 & 2560x1440**

personally I see it, less about games and more about applications/productivity, its nice to have 2 monitors set up as a single display and span the taskbar across both then use hydra vision to create a custom grid
** using 1 3440x1440 & 2560x1440**

The problem I have had with more then 1 display was that I could not get it to work without it triggering my game to not be on the front (when I clicked the moue on he other screen) any more (that was running full screen). I'm guessing that you need to use windowed mode for that to work with games ...

Wondering if my 2nd monitor which does 1600*1200 (VGA) is worth connecting again since support for different resolutions is working.

For the first time in awhile I ran into problems with 16.3 hotfix from 16.2 hotfix:
  • Monitor drivers disabled in Device Manager on install so Spyder 4 color calibration won't load. Enabling the monitors again fixes it.
  • New driver kills WMC. I get Display Error - video playback device does not support playback of protected content (even on non-protected channels). The Silicondust HD Homerun app works, but does not support protected content either, same as always
I'm using 2xR9-290x, Win 10 Pro x64. I've installed 16.3 twice and reinstalled 16.2 back again twice. I'm staying with 16.2 until a new version fixes that.

New driver kills WMC. I get Display Error - video playback device does not support playback of protected content (even on non-protected channels). The Silicondust HD Homerun app works, but does not support protected content either, same as always

Thanks for this. It was driving me nuts trying to figure out what was wrong on a fresh Windows 10 install. Odd thing is it seems to work on 16.3.1 but only on a single screen. With multiple displays it gives the error.

Thanks for this. It was driving me nuts trying to figure out what was wrong on a fresh Windows 10 install. Odd thing is it seems to work on 16.3.1 but only on a single screen. With multiple displays it gives the error.

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but WMC and protected content appears to be fixed for 16.6.1. I've tried various other versions prior without success, but this one worked. All is well again.

Back