Credentials not sticking for shares in 7 RTM

thelead

2[H]4U
Is anyone else having a problem with having to put in a user name and password after reboots for shares even after checking the "Remember Password" checkbox? I could probably set things up as mapped drives, but the network shares should work equally as well.

Isn't it supposed to be this way as a security measure? All my machines have the exact same username and password so I can't exactly test it.

I would just map the drives if you use them often enough.

I'll try mapping them, but I figured that clicking the "remember password" checkbox would work like it did in Vista. Although, I guess it makes sense, as I never got around to figure out how to change the credentials once I checked that box in Vista if I wanted higher privileges in the share.

I had a similar problem accessing Sharepoint documents using Win7 RC. I'm asked to constantly authenticate even if I check the "remember me" checkbox.This system is not part of a domain and should not be getting group policy updates.

Well, mapping doesn't work either because it still asks for a user name and password upon restarting the machine... It will not remember credentials. Back to Vista for now, unless someone else can chime in on a solution.

Try using the windows vault feature, that should definitely work. I personally do not have your issue but I have seen it many times before on xp and vista machines. Using the "stored usernames and passwords" (run.dll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr) feature, which the "windows vault" seems to have replaced, has always worked for me.

Now its concerning that even when the shares are mapped to drives that you are still being prompted to input credentials. Something is wrong.

Try synching users/passwords between the machines.

This.

Why not just use the same credentials on both machines? That is what I have always done with my machines and have never even been prompted once to input credentials.

I'll ask the obvious question, does the account you log into in Windows 7 have a password? I've found that when a user account doesn't have a password it doesn't save any for other shares.

I'll ask the obvious question, does the account you log into in Windows 7 have a password? I've found that when a user account doesn't have a password it doesn't save any for other shares.

Just went back to Vista for now, but my HTPC's do not have passwords since there is no sensitive data on them and I just turn it on by remote. That sound like a bug they would need to fix if I were to use it on an HTPC. I'll give it another go sometime later this week. I will also try the syncing and see if that does the trick.

Now its concerning that even when the shares are mapped to drives that you are still being prompted to input credentials. Something is wrong.

This.

Why not just use the same credentials on both machines? That is what I have always done with my machines and have never even been prompted once to input credentials.

I guess I could try matching logins on my machines. Is it possible to set some of those machines to auto-login into Windows without having to type in the password? Just asking, because that would be a pain for HTPC's to always have to wip out a keyboard everytime I turn the machine on...

But on second hand, I have my HTPC's login to the share folders with read only rights to make sure none of my media gets accendentally deleted by others that use those machines.

I guess I could try matching logins on my machines. Is it possible to set some of those machines to auto-login into Windows without having to type in the password? Just asking, because that would be a pain for HTPC's to always have to wip out a keyboard everytime I turn the machine on...

But on second hand, I have my HTPC's login to the share folders with read only rights to make sure none of my media gets accendentally deleted by others that use those machines.

That's what I would do. Match all of the logons and password them. If you want to set any of them to autologon it is easy enough to do. You can enter the info in the registry, or you can find programs that will encrypt the info.

Is it possible to set some of those machines to auto-login into Windows without having to type in the password?

Auto logon is pretty simple in 7.

-Press start button and in search look for "control userpasswords2"
-Select the user and then uncheck "User must enter a user name and password to enter this computer"

Done

This is also how it's done in Vista as well. =D

-Select the user and then uncheck "User must enter a user name and password to enter this computer"

Done

This is good info. I'll have to try this when I reinstall 7 later this week.

netplwiz
control userpasswords2
Both seem to go to the same place. I only have 1 running PC at the moment so I cannot test, but I am wondering if unchecking "User must enter a user name and password to enter this computer" passes this information for you, or lets you in without needing it. In which case the original problem would persist. If this fails to work, there is always this option: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963905.aspx

another thing I forgot to try before uninstalling is using the server name as part of the login. For example:

server\username
password

instead of

username
password

another thing I forgot to try before uninstalling is using the server name as part of the login. For example:

server\username
password

instead of

username
password

That's basically what the netplwiz\control userpasswords2 will do for you. It will let you store or correct the passwords to go with the server\username information.

Done

I just did a fresh install of Win7 RTM and for some reason this doesn't work. I did it in the RC, but now I put that in the search window and it finds nothing. :(

I just did a fresh install of Win7 RTM and for some reason this doesn't work. I did it in the RC, but now I put that in the search window and it finds nothing. :(

Hit the Windows key and type: netplwiz Then hit enter.

Back