creative X-Fi Sonic Carrier vs Bose Cinemate (soundtouch) 130 for Speakers for PC

dpoverlord

[H]ard|Gawd
I want better sounding audio than my current setup which is failing at 5.1 sound. I currently have a Bose Cinemate 130 with a Creative X7 LE Soundcard/DAC/Amp that sits under my Samsung 4k SUHD monitor. I recently found out that I was misled in buying the Creative X7 LE to process 5.1 sound to my soundbar(does not pass through 5.1 sound as it does not enode dolby digital).

This leaves me with the unique position to sell my brand new setup at a slight loss(I already spent $2k) or spend $2,150 for the Xi-fi Carrier to replace it. Yes, I am aware how I spent stupid money and I was better off saving $500 and using my Asus X99 Rampage V motherboard audio to pass through sound. Right now its just a $500 kick ass amp for my AKG Annie headphones (it does sound badass).

To be more clear, I can get 5.1 sound on Windows 7 with the bose Soundtouch 130 by running optical from the motherboard to the Bose dock(Acoustimass module). However, in windows 10 Ent LTSB there is no update on my Asus X99 Rampage V realtek windows driver to allow DTS sound. It just does not work with this nor the Creative X7. The X7 LE only works if the audio was already encoded in 5.1 (think of a movie or game as it cannot encode audio and pass it through).

So what should I do? cross my fingers and hope the new Sonic Carrier can be my AIO solution I originally wanted? Or do I bite the bullet and just use this current setup with motherboard sound? I have always been a fan of creatives software suite and it kills me I have this $500 paperweight I cannot use. The Bose I do love for its ability to play spotify and other music apps without turning on my computer. But I would have been able to do that with bluetooth anyways. There truly is no reason for me to have an extra dock sitting on my computer.

Question:
I preordered the sonic carrier for $1750 already but..... Should upgrade? If it is an upgrade from my $2200 current setup (Bose Soundtouch 130 to to the new Creative X-Fi Sonic Carrier 55" 11.1 sound bar. I want 5.1 sound or greater in games and video and could use some guidance to help me out.
links:
Tech Hive Preview
MaximumPC / Pc Gamer preview

Sonic Carrier
System Configuration Main Unit + Wireless Subwoofer
Total Output Power 800W RMS
Peak Power Output 2000W
Weight Main Unit: 16 kg / 35 lbs
Subwoofer: 25 kg / 55 lbs
Dimensions (H × W × D) Main Unit: 90 × 1440 × 145 mm / 3.5 × 56.7 × 5.7 in
Subwoofer: 583 x 530 x 300 mm / 23.0 x 20.9 x 11.8 in
Connectivity Bluetooth 4.0
2x Line level
2x Mic analog input
1x USB host and 2x USB power
3x microSD card slots
1x SD card slot
4x HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 Inputs
1x HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 Output
2x Optical Digital In
802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi
Up to Gigabit Ethernet
Drivers Main Unit
10x 2.75″ Aluminum Midbass
5x 0.75″ Titanium Super Tweeter

Subwoofer
2x 10″ Drivers

Bose Sound Touch Hardware Specs
Specs
Dimensions/weight
  • Soundbar speaker:4.9" H x 36.8" W x 2.4" D (7.8 lbs)
  • Acoustimass® module:11.3" H x 7.6" W x 14.8" D (13.8 lbs)
  • Control console:2.5" H x 12.3" W x 8.2" D (3.28 lbs)
  • Remote:8.8" H x 2.1" W x 1.2" D
Additional details
  • Power supply: Dual voltage 100-240
  • Wireless range of Acoustimass module: Up to 30 ft
  • Supported audio formats: MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, Apple lossless
  • Shipping weight: 44 lbs (20 kg)
Inputs/outputs
Console rear panel

• 4 HDMI inputs
  • Coaxial audio input (digital)
  • Optical audio input (digital)
  • R-L audio input (analog)
  • 1 HDMI output (to TV)
Console side panel
  • 3.5 mm connection (for headphones/analog audio)
In the box
  • SoundTouch® 130 soundbar speaker
  • Wireless Acoustimass module
  • Control console
  • SoundTouch® wireless adapter II
  • Universal remote control
  • HDMI cable
  • Speaker cable
  • Power cords
  • USB cable (for updates)
  • ADAPTiQ headset

Please feel free to ask any questions since I am hoping my question is clear enough without this running on. Thanks!

Why don't you just get a real home theater receiver and surround speaker setup? You can get a crazy good of system for $2000 and have real discrete speakers instead of a sound bad trying to be fancy.

And of those two options, I'd get the Sonic Carrier, that thing looks amazing for a sound bar :eek: :eek:

Thanks!

I would die discrete speakers but the problem is the room.

I have the 55" Sammy on a rotating mount (omnimount play70)

So it's moving any direction I choose which changes where the sound is. This is why the soundbar works so well.

Are you really going to have a lot of flexibility rotating a heavy 55 inch sound bar? Or is the sound bar on the mount?

For sure!

Right now I have a 55" TV and below it is connected my Bose Soundtouch 130 which are both connected to my omnimount Play70. It's great since it moves 360 degrees 10"up - 10"down.

Cost a pretty penny but was worth it since I use this setup to work from a computer chair with the sculpt keyboard in my lap and I have a mouse pad attached to the chair for the razer Naga epix(wireless).

Is really great, since then I can sit back on the other side of the room, move the TV to watch movies and chillax.

In summary Yes, I will be moving it. I already do everyday

Back