• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Creative X-Fi Platinum bay

Circuitbreaker8

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 22, 2004
Messages
5,078
Ok, i've been hearing mixed things about this. Would I be able to hook up Xbox 360 through the optical in and have full 5.1 sound on my klipsch speakers? I'm about to pick up an X-Fi platinum but if I can't do this i'll just get the XtremeMusic version..
 
Many people have asked the same question. Logitech really need to adress the issue.

Only thing I can see happening is the sound is not synced up properly with the video that is. :confused:
 
Does the Xbox360 allow 5.1 surround output from its optical connection in games?

I've not heard either way on that, and that will decide things.

If you are asking if a PC with an X-Fi Platinum can act as a glorified receiver/Dolby Digital decoder (receiving a digital 5.1 signal and decoding it to the analog 5.1 speakers)...yeah, it can certainly do that.

Question is just whether the Xbox360 can OUTPUT 5.1 surround signals from games. The original Xbox could, of course, but it was using an nVidia pseudo-Soundstorm solution for the audio, which could encode Dolby Digital on the fly. The Xbox360 is not using that solution.
 
they MIGHT be using the cmedia chip...

somehow i doubt MS would want the 360 to be lacking a feature that the original had... especially something as important as sorround sound.
 
lithium726 said:
they MIGHT be using the cmedia chip...

somehow i doubt MS would want the 360 to be lacking a feature that the original had... especially something as important as sorround sound.

Per the spec sheet, it DOES have surround sound from the analog output connections.

And, hell, consider how many people are running 'digital' speakers off an Audigy or X-Fi's optical connection and will argue with you to hell and high water that they are getting "true surround sound" from it because:

A) Creative advertises surround sound output, and has Dolby Digital stickers all over the case, and Joe AverageUser incorrectly puts the two together

and

B) They hear sound coming from all speakers, so it MUST be surround, right? (Thanks to the 'digital' speakers simply cloning the optical stereo signal)

I think MS might just have looked at Creative's success at spinning marketting BS and NOT encoding Dolby Digital signals and decided "fuck it, we didn't want to pay Dolby for the license, anyway!" After all, MS is painting the XBox360 as an integral part of a home entertainment system, and it can output 5.1 surround sound from DVDs on a digital connection just fine.

Dunno, guess we'll see.

To the OP: the limitation isn't the Creative card - it can do decoding from an optical Dolby Digital (or DTS) source JUST FINE...the question is just whether the Xbox360 HAS Dolby Digital output from games.
 
All games are required to have DD5.1 support and HD resolutions so I guess I should be good to go right?
 
Me too, I want to know wether the x-fi platinum drive will act like DDS,DTS decoder . . . . :)
 
SoundBlaster said:
Me too, I want to know wether the x-fi platinum drive will act like DDS,DTS decoder . . . . :)
yes. it will.

the card is capable of decoding those signals. the issue here is wether or not the 360 will output a DD5.1 stream over the digital line.
 
Did you try to verfy wether the x-fi platinum drive will act like DDS,DTS decoder using any
output source of DD, DTS signal ?
 
You don't have to, it's not rocket science.

audigy_digital.jpg


Again, the question is whether the Xbox360 can *output* a Dolby Digital 5.1 stream FROM GAMES.

I've read nothing saying it can, and that would be a feature they'd advertise, if they had it.
 
Circuitbreaker8 said:
Slightly OT: I just bought an X-Fi Fatal1ty....how do I use the remote? lol


Where did you get it from?

Just curious because I looked all over here in Jax and the only two you can find are Plat and music.
 
BBA said:
Where did you get it from?

Just curious because I looked all over here in Jax and the only two you can find are Plat and music.

I got mine from Best Buy...last one!
 
I think the Xbox360 will support Dolby Digital and DTS Interactive in software.
 
I'm still lost...

Its been confirmed that EVERY xbox 360 title MUST support DD5.1

if I hook it up via optical cable, will it play in 5.1 through my speakers?

...thats all I want to know :p
 
Circuitbreaker8 said:
I'm still lost...

Its been confirmed that EVERY xbox 360 title MUST support DD5.1

if I hook it up via optical cable, will it play in 5.1 through my speakers?

...thats all I want to know :p
yes. it will. we just dont know if its going to output the 5.1 over analouge or digital

if it is able to output over digital, the x-fi will decode it.
 
lithium726 said:
yes. it will. we just dont know if its going to output the 5.1 over analouge or digital

if it is able to output over digital, the x-fi will decode it.

Isn't that the whole point of digital out on XB360? The original Xb had it...
 
Circuitbreaker8 said:
Isn't that the whole point of digital out on XB360? The original Xb had it...
thats what we've been arguing about this whole thread :p

the original xbox had it because it had an early implementation of nvidia's soundstorm in the platform. we dont know what theyre using now, but the only other chip that can encode DD is the cmedia chip on teh HDA and TB cards, which they may or may not be using.
 
Back
Top