• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Creative X-Fi Platinum 5.1 Issue

stop!theradio

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 13, 2007
Messages
3,523
I just got the X-Fi Platinum card with front I/O drive and I have an issue. I use the optical output on the front I/O port to connect to my receiver (Panasonic 800w surround sound system, Dolby Digital/DTS decoder, etc) and I only seem to get stereo sound. When I test the left and right channels using the creative console, it works fine, but when I test the center channel, the sound simply comes out of both the left and right speakers to create a centered sound. When I test the rear left and right speakers, the sound only comes out of the front left and right speakers instead (albeit, out of phase, to create an emulated surround). How can I fix this?
 
You need to narrow this down to the sound card or the receiver. The card may be doing some kind of containment of the other 3.1 channels into the stereo fronts, or the receiver could be in a "surround emulation" mode..

Are you getting correct output from your sub?
 
Sub output is fine. This isn't the fault of the receiver, I have other components (BD, DVD, Xbox 360) connected to it via optical inputs on the receiver and Dolby Digital/DTS works perfectly. I just can't seem to get the same simplicity using the optical out from the I/O drive on my PC. I get nice stereo sound for music and I can use the receiver's pro-logic mode to get a stereo upmix for emulated surround, but for some reason I can't get 5.1 channel sound from the computer. I've tried a few different DVD's that encoded in DD/DTS that normally play beautifully from the 360 or DVD player, but all I get is a stereo mix when I play them from the computer.

EDIT: I've also tried using the card itself as the decoder, as well as using it as a passthrough for the receiver to decode - neither works for getting 5.1 channel sound.
 
I eventually gave up attempting to use optical output from my X-Fi it was a Fata1y model but was very inconsistent when using the optical. I ended up using discreet outputs from the back and have not used the front panel in years.
 
Thanks for the input! I disabled the integrated audio and was able to play DTS encoded movies using the optical connection as a pass-through to my receiver.

Thanks again. :)
 
Back
Top