Hey guys. I haven't been around the forums for a long time, so forgive me with my recent ignorance. My Abit IC7 MAX3 caught on fire over a year ago (capacitor), and the RMA I got in return was DOA (thanks a lot Abit).
I wend down to Fry's and picked up an Athlon64 3500+ with ECS mainboard for cheap, grabbed a 7800gt oc from bestbuy, and a copy of Battlefield 2 (what a game!).
I dropped my 2x512 sticks of kingston Hyperx pc3500 into the Dimm slots, hooked up my raptor, a new 160gb drive for storage (I moved the my documents folder from the raptor, moved to storage drive, then re-installed the OS on the raptor). I feel like this is a pretty good system. The distinct lack of hyperthreading annoys with a bit of a hitch when running multiple apps (its more than a hitch, really) but when thinned down and running just BF2, I play online with 1024x768, noAA, and some of the candy turned off to keep my game play competetive. I can go much higher but I don't want to get shot before my card draws you on the screen.
anyway, The system is not top notch for now but it is decent. I can play bf2 and the game is purely stunning. When I first dropped that X-fi Platinum in, I couldn't believe the sound. Much more support for this card than my old revolution 7.1. Now, however, I can't even PLAY the game if I select the x-fi option under audio controls.
When I play it like that, the sound sometimes stats doing really wierd stuff. It sounds like garbled information from the game is getting randomly cached and replayed at odd intervals with higher than normal volume and a ton of distortion. For example, I'll hear artillery fire from across the map at a very high pitch and tempo, playing back at least twice as fast as the actual artillery fire should. Lots of crackling and garbled audio making such a racket that I can't even stand to try to play. Setting the audio to software solves the problem, but of course it doesn't sound nearly as good as it could with the x-fi working properly.
I've found something about a petition with a bunch of vague info along the thread, but was hoping maybe someone here could give me some suggestions. I would like to upgrade to a better mobo/proc combination, but can't afford ATM to buy a bunch of new memory and a high-end mobo/proc. I don't know if that would solve the problem, anyway.
If the problem is that creative is just selling junk now, are there alternatives? What do you guys think I should do?
I wend down to Fry's and picked up an Athlon64 3500+ with ECS mainboard for cheap, grabbed a 7800gt oc from bestbuy, and a copy of Battlefield 2 (what a game!).
I dropped my 2x512 sticks of kingston Hyperx pc3500 into the Dimm slots, hooked up my raptor, a new 160gb drive for storage (I moved the my documents folder from the raptor, moved to storage drive, then re-installed the OS on the raptor). I feel like this is a pretty good system. The distinct lack of hyperthreading annoys with a bit of a hitch when running multiple apps (its more than a hitch, really) but when thinned down and running just BF2, I play online with 1024x768, noAA, and some of the candy turned off to keep my game play competetive. I can go much higher but I don't want to get shot before my card draws you on the screen.
anyway, The system is not top notch for now but it is decent. I can play bf2 and the game is purely stunning. When I first dropped that X-fi Platinum in, I couldn't believe the sound. Much more support for this card than my old revolution 7.1. Now, however, I can't even PLAY the game if I select the x-fi option under audio controls.
When I play it like that, the sound sometimes stats doing really wierd stuff. It sounds like garbled information from the game is getting randomly cached and replayed at odd intervals with higher than normal volume and a ton of distortion. For example, I'll hear artillery fire from across the map at a very high pitch and tempo, playing back at least twice as fast as the actual artillery fire should. Lots of crackling and garbled audio making such a racket that I can't even stand to try to play. Setting the audio to software solves the problem, but of course it doesn't sound nearly as good as it could with the x-fi working properly.
I've found something about a petition with a bunch of vague info along the thread, but was hoping maybe someone here could give me some suggestions. I would like to upgrade to a better mobo/proc combination, but can't afford ATM to buy a bunch of new memory and a high-end mobo/proc. I don't know if that would solve the problem, anyway.
If the problem is that creative is just selling junk now, are there alternatives? What do you guys think I should do?