Creative X-Fi Help Needed!

Hyuukai

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 29, 2007
Messages
130
Ok just to state first i only have the card no driver disks or the remote or anything. I downloaded the drivers from http://uk.europe.creative.com/suppo...DriverLang=1033&searchString=sb0550&x=26&y=12 currently number 9 i believe where teh correct drivers. I put my card in and it came up in device manager saying multimedia audio controller. It also had a blue light lighting up the x-fi on the card itself. When i tried to install the drivers it said "Setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system please ensure that your product is properly installed before running this setup program". So could anybody help me at all? i will add i only plugged the card into PCI didnt use any wires.
 
For starters, which card do you have? Also, am I correct in assuming that you're from the UK?
 
Yes im from the uk and i have the
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
 
That message states that the drivers cannot find a proper hardware ID for any creative device that the drivers support. Two things can cause this.

1 - wrong drivers for the card, unlikely if you know anything about what you're doing, or....

2 - Something has gone wrong on the card and it's reporting it's ID incorrectly to windows. This is a common problem on the first few batches of X-Fi's. I actually had the problem myself, and was rectified with an RMA.

Try it in another system, and if you still get the same issue, then attempt an RMA. Creative is speedy here in the UK for replacements, and you can get around the whole 'receipt' issue if you dont have one. I just RMA's my X-Fi twice in the last 3 months without issue.

So where abouts in the UK are you from?
 
South west, Cornwall problem is that i brought it off ebay it might have warranty but im not sure :S so i dunno if i cud rma it. For the wires i have to plugin to it is it just the floppy drive cable thing? im just confused how it detects it and pwoer goes to it but thats it kinda thing
 
Yeah the mini power plug goes into the card same one that goes into the floppy drive. Card should still detect without that plugged in, that is just needed to power the external enclosure, pretty sure.
 
Yeah, if you have the internal IO bay, then you'll need to hook a power plug to it, but do NOT plug any power leads into the soundcard, you'll surely fry it.

And I'm based in Portsmouth, so not far! I had my X-Fi ordered from the USA and I had no receipts either. Just sound a bit upset and sad when you fill out the form, and state that you bought it sometime in the last 6 months or so when asked for your date of purchase. When it comes time for them to ask for a receipt, just make up your own story.

Creative shouldnt be this difficult to deal with, but eh... there's always a way around.
 
Back
Top