Sound is something I've never been terribly fussed on.
Sure it'd be awesome to have a fancy setup but most of the little money I have goes into the real stuff like new CPUs and Video Cards.
Recently I brought a headset and my onboard audio sucks. It's not loud enough and doesn't even provide audio to the left speaker.
My mate gave me an old sound card he had, it's a Creative Soundblaster Live! Value from 1999.
Sadly Creative doesn't support this card anymore and doesn't provide drivers for Vista(which I'm using). Windows Update does have drivers for this card but they're absolutely crap, the Line In has static, microphone doesn't work, and the Line out quality is shocking.
I looked around and the best drivers I found was a driver set done by 'Naimad Mod'. These drivers work great, quality is great, nice and loud, Line In and Microphone work.
Only one problem.
When I play Gears of War or Call of Duty 4 I get really, really bad Audio distortions. Like a really loud static that can really hurt your ears. I found a fix for COD where you lower the sound quality to 22K and it works fine. But no such option is in Gears.
In essence, does anyone still have a legendary Soundblaster Live Value and still have it working on Vista without any problems?
Or can you recommend a cheap replacement that will provide crisp sound that has Vista support?
Cheers
Sure it'd be awesome to have a fancy setup but most of the little money I have goes into the real stuff like new CPUs and Video Cards.
Recently I brought a headset and my onboard audio sucks. It's not loud enough and doesn't even provide audio to the left speaker.
My mate gave me an old sound card he had, it's a Creative Soundblaster Live! Value from 1999.
Sadly Creative doesn't support this card anymore and doesn't provide drivers for Vista(which I'm using). Windows Update does have drivers for this card but they're absolutely crap, the Line In has static, microphone doesn't work, and the Line out quality is shocking.
I looked around and the best drivers I found was a driver set done by 'Naimad Mod'. These drivers work great, quality is great, nice and loud, Line In and Microphone work.
Only one problem.
When I play Gears of War or Call of Duty 4 I get really, really bad Audio distortions. Like a really loud static that can really hurt your ears. I found a fix for COD where you lower the sound quality to 22K and it works fine. But no such option is in Gears.
In essence, does anyone still have a legendary Soundblaster Live Value and still have it working on Vista without any problems?
Or can you recommend a cheap replacement that will provide crisp sound that has Vista support?
Cheers