creative sound blaster Z

reaper12

2[H]4U
I have just checked the online store on the European Creative website and I see that the sound blaster z is now available for sale. Very surprised that there are no reviews or anything yet. I am very tempted to buy one and try it out.

I have to admit, I was very "meh" over hearing (just now from you) of any new versions of cards from Creative, but I have to say... I am pleasantly surprised to see that they actually pulled their heads out of their asses!! Not only that, but they totally ripped the pages out of ASUS' book and virtually copied it to the letter lol It'll be interesting to see how they stack up now that they pack actual quality components. Had I not already bought a Xonar Xense, I would actually consider one of these since it's damn near a carbon copy (if you can't beat em, make a knock off of them, right? lol):
http://personalaudio.ru/anonce/sound-cards/foto_kart_sound_blaster_z_i_zxr_iznutri/
(Note: that page is in Russian, but the images translate very well :D)

Recon3d was obviously junk, but I'd love to know how this compared to a Titanium HD

Recon3d was obviously junk, but I'd love to know how this compared to a Titanium HD

Yeah the recon3d was a bit of a let down. It was brilliant for gaming, but the sound quality wasn't that good for music or movies :(

Well, just going by the Russian site that Formula.350 linked to it should sound at least as good as the Titanium HD. It's the same DAC after all. But it has one big advantage over the tianium HD, the Z series now has a great headphone amp, the same one that's used in the asus essence ST/STX.

I think the Z series is a combination of the great gaming features of the recon 3d combined with the great sound of the titanium HD with a headphone amp thrown in for good meaure :)

Will keep you posted on how it sounds when I get it. I still think it strange that there is no reviews on it yet.

Going by specs, the zxr should be better than the titanium HD. Which was a great soundcard.....

Be warned though, creative online store in Europe have much higher prices then normal stores. Differences can reach even about 50 euro, so I'd just wait few weeks before normal stores start selling that stuff. Though, if ya willin to pay premium, it's your call :)

Yeah the recon3d was a bit of a let down. It was brilliant for gaming, but the sound quality wasn't that good for music or movies :(

Well, just going by the Russian site that Formula.350 linked to it should sound at least as good as the Titanium HD. It's the same DAC after all. But it has one big advantage over the tianium HD, the Z series now has a great headphone amp, the same one that's used in the asus essence ST/STX.

I think the Z series is a combination of the great gaming features of the recon 3d combined with the great sound of the titanium HD with a headphone amp thrown in for good meaure :)

Will keep you posted on how it sounds when I get it. I still think it strange that there is no reviews on it yet.

How's the mic that comes with that setup? At the US$99 price point, it looks like they've put together a compelling package that needs only a decent set of cans.

Be warned though, creative online store in Europe have much higher prices then normal stores. Differences can reach even about 50 euro, so I'd just wait few weeks before normal stores start selling that stuff. Though, if ya willin to pay premium, it's your call :)

The normal stores are selling these for roughly the same price as the creative store. Some places are a little more expensive, some places are a little cheaper. That might change in a few months, but for now there is no difference.

I have found that for some things the EU creative store is more expensive, but for other things you can get a good deal.

How's the mic that comes with that setup? At the US$99 price point, it looks like they've put together a compelling package that needs only a decent set of cans.

The mic is really good. I have it sitting on top of my monitor and people have had no trouble hearing me even when I have music playing in the background. I haven't used it for too long, just did a few tests to see what it was like.

Going by specs, the zxr should be better than the titanium HD. Which was a great soundcard.....

Yep, but I'm expecting the difference to be very minor unless I buy one of those $1,000+ headphones and a headphone amp.

Specs don't tell you much of a thing about how a card actually sounds. All specs tell you is some arbitrary measurements conducted in an arbitrary way to make a product look more desirable without ever hearing it.

Back