Creative Sound Blaster Z Initial Impression

Just a FYI...

I installed a new bios (gigabyte z87 mobo) and my card (zxr) disappeared from control panel. Changed PCI-E slots and it was still missing. Removed all creative drivers, reg keys, the works and still couldn't get it to come back.

Re-installing windows fixed the problem.

I've noticed that you have to pull the power from your system when the card fails to show up sometimes for 2-3min. It might save you some time if it happens again.

My ZxR sometimes disappears when booting up or waking from sleep. I was going through all of the possible solutions that were a pain in the ass (and didn't consistently work) before I found a simple one.

Now all I do is sleep/wake and it comes back within a few cycles (takes less than 30 seconds to do this).

Figured out how to do speaker fill after contacting support. Enable 5.1 in the speaker/headphones tab check all your available speakers. Then goto SBX Pro tab and power on the SBX Pro Studio button and check the Surround box (the slider will go adjust front/back speakers). Finally speaker fill for music/movies!!!

Figured out how to do speaker fill after contacting support. Enable 5.1 in the speaker/headphones tab check all your available speakers. Then goto SBX Pro tab and power on the SBX Pro Studio button and check the Surround box (the slider will go adjust front/back speakers). Finally speaker fill for music/movies!!!

Only downside is I find a 11db drop in audio volume and lose clarity. During gaming sbx pro seems ok, for music and movies, I turn that shit off. Much louder and more clear without SBX running IMHO.

Why do we still not have headphones mode over line-out? I cant imagine it would be that hard to put in, does no one use an amp these days so they don't care for the 10 of us who have a headphone amp?

Only downside is I find a 11db drop in audio volume and lose clarity. During gaming sbx pro seems ok, for music and movies, I turn that shit off. Much louder and more clear without SBX running IMHO.

Agreed....Surround works VERY well in Headphone mode in games, though.

Back