Creative finally decides to uncripple drivers!

You beat me to it!!!

Sounds more like they hired some actual programmers than they just decided to "uncripple" the drivers.

That is more real feedback from Creative than we have had in years!

That being said.... I've never really had any issues with ANY Creative sounds cards/drivers besides when they had the PCI-64 and the PCI-128.

After doing some research, I found that they were the same exact card except for a chip/hardware ID that would not let the PCI-128 drivers install on the 64.

After a little bit of "creative" file shuffling between the driver packs, I was able to put together a package that made the PCI-64 into a PCI-128. A month or so later, Creative "uncrippled" the PCI-64 by releasing a package that made the 64 into a 128... hehe :)

During the time I was doing the research, I was posting in the forums.... I think they took notice that we knew what was up and decided to release an official driver pack instead of having everybody end up using mine.
 
This does not mean anything more than a suck up because of the negative publicity of the whole "Daniel_K" debacle. My next card will not be a Creative. They royally f'ed up on this one.
 
Why now? Why ever? I mean if you think people will start to rebuy your a fool. I feel there is no need to buy anything from creative. I have not used a creative sound card for years do to the samething they pulled not long ago. creative has done this in the past they are doing it now and I see no reason why they will not do it again.
 
like it or not, x-fi cards and alchemy are the best gaming cards in vista available. (including the prelude)

Will this bring in more sales for them? Sure it will, why wouldn't it? Probably hardly any, but regardless I'd bet their card sales come primarily from the non-hardcore crowd, given that they are sold in Best Buys, Circuit Citys etc.

In other words, the majority of people who buy creative cards, knew nothing of the Daniel K mess and Creative's buffoonery in the chaos.


In the end, I'm still very happy with my Prelude =D
 
Nice, now I can use my Audigy 2 card in my HTPC instead of it sitting in a cardboard box along with other "useless" parts.
 
like it or not, x-fi cards and alchemy are the best gaming cards in vista available. (including the prelude)

Will this bring in more sales for them? Sure it will, why wouldn't it? Probably hardly any, but regardless I'd bet their card sales come primarily from the non-hardcore crowd, given that they are sold in Best Buys, Circuit Citys etc.

In other words, the majority of people who buy creative cards, knew nothing of the Daniel K mess and Creative's buffoonery in the chaos.


In the end, I'm still very happy with my Prelude =D
I'm part of the "hardcore" crowd, but I never heard about any "Daniel_K" stuff until a few days ago when someone, obviously more "hardcore" than me, brought it up. And I had nothing to say because, honestly, I don't care about other people's internet fights.
 
I'd bet their card sales come primarily from the non-hardcore crowd, given that they are sold in Best Buys, Circuit Citys etc

Most often these card are not that main stream, granted there is a % of sales, but most often it's to the higher-end markets or nitch. and when we talk any Fatal1ty sales that is right at the high-end market.

A consumer is not going to spend 100+ dollars on something that in there mind they already have. and if they have a need they will get something much less to make some sound. Most all add-in sound cards now days are some sort of premium type sound solution. They are for something nitch or high-end might it be high-end audio production or premium gaming/sound.

I think gamers and enthusiast make for a large share of creative sound card sales, and if gamers and enthusiast was just to stop buying cards it would but a big dent in creative sound card sales.
 
Who cares if they're sold at Circuit City and Best Buy? So are $500-600 video cards and raptor hard drives. Not everyone buys their PC parts from Newegg.

Most non-hardcore PC users are perfectly content with onboard sound so anyone spending additional $$$ for a sound card is at least somewhat an enthusiast.
 
"Creative finally decides to uncripple drivers!"

Not before I replaced my crappy Creative Audigy 2 ZS with an HT Omega Claro Plus+ (which sounds WAY better). I am sick of Creative's suckware drivers, and I am glad to be rid of them. I highly recommend HT Omega; they have the best customer service I've ever seen (REAL, non-form letter responses within 24 hours even on the weekends!)
 
Dolby Digital and DTS decoding is apparently returning to their Vista drivers next month. Let's see where it really goes.
 
Only the original 4 SKU's for the X-Fi had DD/DTS decoding built in, so the people with one of these models are the only ones that lost decoding functionality when switching to Vista.

I wouldn't expect any of the later SKU's to officially get the deocder functionality.


I sold my X-Fi and don't plan on returning to Creative. I have no faith that the X-Fi will ever work smoothly under Vista for an acceptable percentage of people.
 
Back
Top