Creating your own Webserver. How to?

SerialThriller

Limp Gawd
I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a good site that would have a guide about how to set up a webserver. Anyone?

Yes, i have looked other places, but often the best guides are not the easiest to find.

SerialThriller said:
I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a good site that would have a guide about how to set up a webserver. Anyone?

Yes, i have looked other places, but often the best guides are not the easiest to find.

XAMPP
Has everything you need to get a server up and running in about 10 min

I personally favor setting things up individually. If nothing else, that gives you a better handle on upgrades when security fixes are needed.

Generally speaking, the install instructions for Apache / PHP / MySQL are very complete. The only real item of note is that PHP5 requires a little extra tweaking to make MySQL work (I have a thread in Web & Prog to that end -- http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=777568).

The proper procedure is:
Make Apache work (httpd.apache.org) -- get v2
Now make PHP work (use a page of "<?php phpinfo(); ?>" to test) (www.php.net) -- your choice for v4 vs v5.
Now install MySQL (www.mysql.com)
Now install phpMyAdmin and make sure MySQL works (phpmyadmin.sourceforge.net)
Now install Perl, no special steps needed. (www.activestate.com)
Now make Apache public, if desired (open port in firewall / router)

As long as you read the instructions, it's pretty straightforward.

extreemly dumb question..but...would one still need Windows 2000 or a server version of Windows to run a Web server or is something like Apache enuff?

SerialThriller said:
extreemly dumb question..but...would one still need Windows 2000 or a server version of Windows to run a Web server or is something like Apache enuff?
Apache itself isn't an OS -- you need something under the hood.

That said, any of the WinNT platforms (NT4 Workstation, 2K Pro, XP Home, XP Pro) are all fine.

Naturally, *NIX is fine, too. I just happen to prefer administrating Windows systems.

//edit: I should also mention -- PHP / MySQL apps should be fully cross-platform most of the time. Perl is the only thing I can't pull off immediately cross-platform, and that's only because of the necessity of specifying where the perl executable is.

Back