creating win 10 usb installation

rob2000

Gawd
the media tool sucks. all it does is crash. tried fat 32 and ntfs and it gets about 30% done and says there is a problem on my sandisk thumbdrive. some say download the iso and put it there but its never a actual windows link. so I do not trust it. I bought a new cpu,mobo and ram, since my mobo appears to be dying. tried all kinds of things and it will not boot without clearing the cmos each time. not installed the new hardware if I cannot install the os. at a loss as to what to do. dont have the original install disc with me as I moved out of state and left it with my nephew. not sure what do to.

Use the media creation tool to download the iso. Then download Rufus and use that the make your usb install disk. In some cases. Antivirus actually blocks the media creation from completing. My GData's behaviour monitoring would block mine from finishing for some reason

I had a problem with it when I tried to use it on a thumbdrive that I thought had enough space but didn't.

the media tool sucks. all it does is crash. tried fat 32 and ntfs and it gets about 30% done and says there is a problem on my sandisk thumbdrive. some say download the iso and put it there but its never a actual windows link. so I do not trust it. I bought a new cpu,mobo and ram, since my mobo appears to be dying. tried all kinds of things and it will not boot without clearing the cmos each time. not installed the new hardware if I cannot install the os. at a loss as to what to do. dont have the original install disc with me as I moved out of state and left it with my nephew. not sure what do to.
Replace your power supply if you can't get even the new hardware stable.

Replace your power supply if you can't get even the new hardware stable.
I did replace the power supply just in case and I get the same results as the old one. I think the mobo is dying so I want to replace it. I do need to reinstall the os though. I don't have the install disc with me since I moved. but have not moved all my stuff yet. its 650 miles so not like I can run back. I have tried two different thumb drives a 64gb and a 32gb on was blank the other had about 8gbs on it but i took everything off. I did not install anything but the power supply so far. I was not sure how win10 would adjust if I did not format the hard drive with a new mobo,cpu and ram. but I did also buy a nvme drive as well.

got the iso and giving rufus a try. wish me luck. and thanks for all the replies.

rufus seemed to create it. waiting for the weekend before taking the machine down and giving it a try.

I've never had an issue using the MS media creation tool, and I've used it dozens of times. But I would only use a smaller 8 or 16gb USB drive since it's going to format it anyway.

I've never had an issue using the MS media creation tool, and I've used it dozens of times. But I would only use a smaller 8 or 16gb USB drive since it's going to format it anyway.
I had to use Rufus one time make a UEFI:NTFS bootable USB drive for a Server 2012 R2 install that used the .ISO that had the install.wim (?) file that was bigger than FAT32 could handle. That was before I discovered how to split that file into smaller chunks. But I always use Rufus to make bootable Win 7/10 USB drives.

I've had problems where it failed to create a boot drive but would work if I retried it. Also had it mess up some USB drives to the point where disk manager sees them as smaller than they really are and I needed to download some software to get the full capacity back.

well there are a ton of people reporting it does not work for them without jumping through hoops, and even then it only works for a few. not sure what the problem is. but its not just a handful of people. i tried both drives 5-10 times each. one was brand new the other about 6 months old. sandisk and i forgot the other one.

I've used the tool with a few different flash drives with no issues creating the media. I did have an issue upgrading a couple of machines though, but they were eventually able to upgrade.
Can't recall having an issue with a fresh install using the thumbdrive.

I've had problems where it failed to create a boot drive but would work if I retried it. Also had it mess up some USB drives to the point where disk manager sees them as smaller than they really are and I needed to download some software to get the full capacity back.
I am glad I am not the only one who experienced corrupted usb drives when using the media creation tool. I have only had this issue when using a drive that was too small for the install iso.

I just noticed it nerfed my 64gb drive down to 32gb. what a hunk of shit and terrible programmers they have.

got my fingers crossed. moving the files i want to keep now and then going for the upgrade install.

Ive had excellent luck with rufus on my 16gb and 64gb drives. The only problems ive had were when my antivirus would get angry with rufus making something bootable and stop it before it could finish.

Its got a bit of Mississippi Leg Hound in it...

Depending on what AV software you use, it may need to be disabled. My work laptop runs Trend Micro OfficeScan, and I always have to disable it to make a USB flash drive with the Media Creation Tool.

I just noticed it nerfed my 64gb drive down to 32gb. what a hunk of shit and terrible programmers they have.

got my fingers crossed. moving the files i want to keep now and then going for the upgrade install.

You got a 32gb usb, because the tool formatted it to FAT32, which is the largest file size on USB it supports.. It should be ntfs, because that would make sense, but it seems UEFI systems have issue with that, and require fat32 from what i've been reading. Apparently you can bypass this with the Rufus tool, but I haven't had a chance to test it.

I got the installation to work with rufus. worked quickly and without a hitch.

I did try to reformat the other drive to ntfs more than once but file size did not change.

my system was still unplayable in games, finally figured it out. my water pump died. I guess it was dying when the problems started. I replaced it with a new one and its running good again. was finally able to play pubg again. I could surf the net and play very old games without it acting up so I did not think it was the cooling system. that and my older video cards had fried recently but they were old old. the water pump was at least 5 years old. might have been what killed my mobo I suspect. oh well I will try to get a second hand one that works or old new stock and use it for a server or a system for my nephew.

thank you to all who responded. If i can't get my thumbdrive back to 64gb oh well. they are fairly cheap. but will tinker with that tommorow.

I got the installation to work with rufus. worked quickly and without a hitch.

I did try to reformat the other drive to ntfs more than once but file size did not change.

my system was still unplayable in games, finally figured it out. my water pump died. I guess it was dying when the problems started. I replaced it with a new one and its running good again. was finally able to play pubg again. I could surf the net and play very old games without it acting up so I did not think it was the cooling system. that and my older video cards had fried recently but they were old old. the water pump was at least 5 years old. might have been what killed my mobo I suspect. oh well I will try to get a second hand one that works or old new stock and use it for a server or a system for my nephew.

thank you to all who responded. If i can't get my thumbdrive back to 64gb oh well. they are fairly cheap. but will tinker with that tommorow.
If the USB drive in question was partitioned and using UEFI/GPT you might have to use diskpart to nuke the extra partitions on the drive in order to get back the full capacity. The disk partitioner can't nuke those extra partitions as far as I can tell.

Back