Creating own PCBs on plastic with printer

Boomslang

Limp Gawd
I need to print my own circuit, but I don't think the usual PCB etching technique is what I want - I need to print onto plastic (like an overhead transparency.)

The reason is that I'm trying to convert a straight rectangular keyboard into an ergonomic one by adding a bend in the middle. I had at first tried to join the two halves of the plastic circuit inside the keyboard with plastic and paint in the conductive traces with conductive material and masking, but I could not get the precision that I'd need to successfully pull this off. Therefore, I think it could be best if I could somehow scan the halves of the circuit into Photoshop or the GIMP, draw in the new traces, and print them out onto overhead transparencies.

I'd probably be able to fit each half onto a standard sized transparency, so I wouldn't need specialized printing equipment. The only thing I'm not sure of how to do would be to modify the ink or ink cartridge so that it uses conductive material in place of the ink.

Is anything like this even remotely possible? It would vastly facilitate this project.

I'm also looking for some super-glue-like substance that has conductive characteristics, so if anyone has any suggestions for that, I'd be happy to hear them.

Im no pro at this but from as i understand, you must print your circuit board layout on regular but shinny paper on a LASER PRINTER, then IRON the ink onto your pcb board.Then you should be able to just use your chems to wash away the copper which then leaves your traces in tact underneath the ink!

That's my understanding as far as printing onto an actual PCB. I'm looking to print onto a sheet of flexible plastic, which is basically what the circuits inside a keyboard are. I'd need some kind of conductive ink to do this, but I don't know where to start. I've found conductive paint and stuff, but I have no idea if I could use this in a standard printer. Also, it's ridiculously expensive :(

Im no pro at this but from as i understand, you must print your circuit board layout on regular but shinny paper on a LASER PRINTER, then IRON the ink onto your pcb board.Then you should be able to just use your chems to wash away the copper which then leaves your traces in tact underneath the ink!

thats exactly it http://www.fullnet.com/~tomg/gooteepc.htm#1

I understand what you're saying, but I'm fairly certain theres a really complex machine involved into making printed traces on essentially what is transparency paper. You wouldn't be able to use the same method obviously.

the closest thing I can find is this http://www.hotpcb.com/fleximages.asp and they will make your pcb for you, once provided with a trace pattern, I believe.

typing this response on my ten dollar off ebay logitech ergo keyboard.

thing has been solid for at least two years.

If you have an old (non-color) ink-jet that you could put the conductive ink into an old cartridge...

assuming that the ink is thin enough to fit through the print head, and yet thick (viscous) enough to not run off the plastic sheet while flowing together, and that it will dry enough to be handled without being brittle and breaking when you flex the sheeting.

Then just print the circuit!

typing this response on my ten dollar off ebay logitech ergo keyboard.

thing has been solid for at least two years.

How does it feel? I like older keyboards that have been broken in for a while, so I was hoping I could retain some of that feel, but with a more ergonomic shape. If the price is right, I doubt I'll want to spend the money required for materials to hack my own.

If you have an old (non-color) ink-jet that you could put the conductive ink into an old cartridge...

assuming that the ink is thin enough to fit through the print head, and yet thick (viscous) enough to not run off the plastic sheet while flowing together, and that it will dry enough to be handled without being brittle and breaking when you flex the sheeting.

Then just print the circuit!

Sounds like quite an assumption :p The conductive paint/ink stuff I found claimed that it was able to be airbrushed, but I'm not sure about running it through a printer.

I'm also considering using conductive epoxy and CAT5 strands to bridge the gap between the halves. Since the heat from a soldering iron melts the plastic that the circuit is printed on, this method might work if I can get it precise enough.

Circuit boards are not plastic, and they are soldered on when they are assembled...

Circuit boards are not plastic, and they are soldered on when they are assembled...

I'm interested in the circuits that are printed onto the sheets of plastic that are inside a keyboard. They do not use PCBs or boards - just sheets of plastic. I apologize for the misleading thread title.

At least in the one keyboard I took apart. I can't speak for them all.

Have you ever opened a keyboard?

This thread got so derailed... He's trying to cut his keyboard membrane in half and connect the two halves, so that he can split the keyboard.

Why not use wires or ribbon cable to connect the two halves?

I tried that, but the heat from my soldering iron melts the plastic, and that destroys the metallic traces on the plastic. This was my original game plan :(

Have you ever opened a keyboard?

This thread got so derailed... He's trying to cut his keyboard membrane in half and connect the two halves, so that he can split the keyboard.

Yes, that's what I'm trying to do. However, I might have found a more commercial solution for what I'm trying to accomplish, so I might be able to shelf this project. I'll post back here if it pans out.

Well, I gave up, and found this beauty on eBay for $30 shipped. MSRP is ~$200.-

keyboard.png

Rocking the Dvorak layout on a split keyboard is pretty damn awesome. Very cozy.

I removed the right side spacebar, it didn't come like that.

Wow, I have never seen a company receive so much hate before.

Well, I think the hate paid off - because I forced myself to explore other ergo keyboard options, I wound up with something more obscure, but much better, than what I would have gotten from MS if I had been comfortable with purchasing their products.

Back