Creating Genre Folders for Movies on NAS

demechman

Weaksauce
I am having speed issues with over 1000 movies in a single folder when browsing through a DLNA app on my TV. Is there a simple script or application that will take my movies (all in individual folders) and create genre folders and put the movies into the appropriate folder?

I have used XBMC and scraped all the movies if that helps. I do not really use XBMC often since I use the DLNA service in my synology NAS to serve up movies to the smart(ish) TV.

Any help would be appreciate or you can just tell me I am silly.

Not sure about an application that can do that, but you could always make alphabetical group folders to reduce the item count in each folder. Like A-F, G-P, Q-Z, etc.

I think there's some aggregators out there. Or you could go with demechman's suggestion of breaking them out by alphabet. That will improve things for a while but once those folders get filled you'll be presented with the same problem again in however many months. It will depend on how many movies you are saving to your server. If you are racking up alot you'll have the same issue just at a later time.

Your problem is typical of programs that rely on either filesystem performance or network speed or a combination of both. This is why many programs use databases to index the folders. It's much faster and can return results alot quicker.

In the short term go with demechman's suggestion but start thinking about your favorite HTPC program to act as a good front end for your movies.

i dont know how much of an option it is for you, but if you can run the DLNA service on a computer (files can still be on the synology) but the DLNA service is done through a computer software, it can organize the files and present it to the smart TV within its own internal organization.

DLNA servers built into NAS' are really really basic level.

So no application to place each movie into a genre folder on the NAS then? I guess I will just manually make the moves.

Back