Creating Download server, ITX/matx?

pinktank

Limp Gawd
I have three options

a) spend some and build an am2 gf6100 using 2nd hand part, approx cost, would be hmm 50 for board 50-60 for cpu 50 for ram, something for case +++s are gigabit lan , onbard usb sound and firewire
b) go p3 tualatin, board+cpu +ram = 80? something for case, needs pci usb/firewire card,

c) go ITx, which I believe is overly priced but I can't tell as my wisdom is not as encompassing on the subject.

use samsung pata in either case as it is the quietest drive I've heard but I'm open to recommendations, I'll probably wrap it with rubber bands and etc, whatever makes it dead. May go for the first choice given that I find parts at a good price, It will differ 50$ or so, not that grand in the long run. What I wanted to say was, since I don'T need an optical drive, a custom case might be an option, and I'm wondering If I could use some other kind of psu.

I'm aiming at total silence, so this is no power pc, all passive cooled parts(no nb fan) gently blown over by a nearly silent 120mm, thats all

I'm open to all comments, btw, this case will probably not have a dedicated optical drive as I think(but not I am not sure) I am going to stash a plextor in a usb box for my archiving needs as apple is being evil by giving us 4x!!, superdrives in macbook pros, in my terms, theyre being barely any more than the latter opening of our digestive apparatii. (why use it? in my school it is mandatory)

I'm not sure if option A would work, the 2nd hand parts anyways. AM2 is still fairly new, so picking up old spare parts from here or there would be harder since it only uses DDR2 memory and of course, AM2 socket CPUs.

Unless you end up getting the low power am2 parts, you won't be able to run them fanless unless you use a large tower heatsink as they'll use about 30w idle and up to 80 or so @ load depending on the model. I suggest you just go find yourself a cheap little Tualitin and stick a decent heatsink on it. Those things only dissipate 30-35W @ load so they're easy on the heat and consequently, on the ears. If you want PCI-express or all the stuff that goes with newer boards tho...be ready to pick up a microATX case that will accomodate a larger cooler.

I dont care about pci ex\ but onbaord gigabit lan fw and usb 2.0 seemed good, especially since it will be saving on an external drive 24/7 and will be kind of a nas for my macbook pro.

about the am 2 thing, it doesnt have to be an am2, can be anything relatively new, are there any good nforce2 matx? that would be great I think,. and low heat there too. I could udnerclock it too as it will have more htan enough power to do the tasks. I may even do some folding with that, not on full tho\ thatd heat up. What do you think?

or a socket 754? that would be cheap too. Im fairly open to any suggestion. My point was since i towuld took 50 or so difference to create a socket 754 or an nforce2ish system. There is not much point in investing on a tualatin. does any of you know a matx board with gigabit lan of either sockets?

I would grab an Intel Shelton board. It's FlexITX and passively cooled.

I used a Tualatin with a Thermaltake A*** for a carPC. with an undervolted fan. It was pretty near silent. Shelton won in a few benchmarks on a head to head comparison and since it is passively cooled it is the winner.

ITX would cost you an arm and a leg. Go to Fry's and get one of their crazy-cheap mobo/proc combos. A few months ago, they had one with the 805D and a decent mATX mobo for about $120 with no rebates. Just stop by there every once and a while to look for one.

ITS's are not very suitable for FTP and download servers, especially the C3 based ones. You will need the M1000 series or higher and thatll run you as much as a 6100 board with a sempron, am2 or 754

err, no ITX for me, I'm trying to create something cheap here, I'm a student atm, so no cash flow.

I'll browse classifieds and see what can I get in athlon/sempron/celeron field.

once I move, depending on the size and shape of my closet, I may dump the whole Idea and create a regular, smaller atx tower, as long as it isn't getting in my way, it shouldnbt be a problem

pinktank said:
err, no ITX for me, I'm trying to create something cheap here, I'm a student atm, so no cash flow.

I'll browse classifieds and see what can I get in athlon/sempron/celeron field.
They were going for $75-90 on eBay a few months ago for a board/CPU combo. That's too expensive??? Sounded like just what you were looking for.

Keep watching eBay or the mp3Car for sale forums, if you are interested.
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78679&highlight=shelton
Here is that thread I was talking about earlier:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928961

hit ebay and look for people selling old PIII boards, i have seen people selling classifieds and ebay old PIII system / mobo / ram sometimes case and all for like $40-$60.

Back