Creating a Profile

Lugztaz

[H]ard|Gawd
How do i go about doing this? I want to add another user on XP and i want to set the profile to have limited access, take icons away and all that. how can i do this?

Assuming you have admin rights, go to the Management Console, to the users snap-in. You can create a user, then under groups, you can leave them in the users group, or move them to another.

EDIT: Woot...12,000 posts.

Or you can just type "compmgmt.msc" in run then go to "Local Users and Groups".

yea, but how can i go in and tell it, i do not want this on the start menue, or this icon and this background and all that?

Simply create a new user, then log in as that user and set it up as you want. Then, log out of that user, log back in as yourself, and drop their privledges to a limited user.

I will forgo explaining to you how to right-click and delete something, as I am sure that is something you understand.

The problems you may run into would be the programs that this limited user would be runing. They may not like running as a limited user, so you'll have to test and see what works and what doesn't.

what about deleting items off the programs menu? Normally it says this will affect all users. How can i make it not do that?

Lugztaz said:
what about deleting items off the programs menu? Normally it says this will affect all users. How can i make it not do that?
There are two locations where startmenu items can live. One is c:\documents and settings\all users\Start Menu, and the other is c:\documents and settings\<user>\Start Menu

If a shortcut lives in all users, then it will be available to all users. If it lives in the individual users start menu folder, then it will only be available to that user. Unfortunately, you can't make something unavailable to one specific user if it lives in the All Users folder ( unless you do some funky permissions stuff, but that might be more work here than would be helpful ).

Back