Creating A New Server?

Hi guys,
So I am new the the networking side of the IT world and could'nt find any relevant answers on google to be able to properly understand how to create a network where I could access as well as monitor.
So here's my situation (made up):
1. I have 5 computers, and 1 of the five I would like to act as the server for a company with files and everything and be able to access that computer; however to a limited access for employees. But for me (the boss), I would like to be able to have full access.
2. For the 4 computers left, I would like to have like multiple accounts where 5 employees have there own account (limited access), and would also like to monitor what they do through these account.
3. I would also like to remotely connect to this server from a computer or laptop not connected to the server like if I am in New York and my server is in California. I know Remote Desktop can achieve this, but how do u connect?

Is there a how-to-guide somewhere so that I can setup this type of networking?

If these are 4 real flesh-and-bones people you have working, trying to make you money, I wouldn't risk their productivity on a network put together by an amateur (in this case, you).

A real Windows Server Essentials setup done by a reasonable company would probably only cost you a few grand, and then you have someone to yell at if it breaks, instead of wasting more of your own time, and non-productive employees wasting your money.

If you insist on doing it yourself (ie - if your time is actually not worth any monetary value, and you really want non-productive employees for the whole week), just do some reading on Windows Server Essential. There are quite a few resources and case studies for 2-10 person office setups.

As for remote access - not sure where you're running into trouble. You run "mstsc", type the computer name/IP that you want to connect to, enter user/password and you're in (as long as the target computer has remote access allowed).

If these are 4 real flesh-and-bones people you have working, trying to make you money, I wouldn't risk their productivity on a network put together by an amateur (in this case, you).

A real Windows Server Essentials setup done by a reasonable company would probably only cost you a few grand, and then you have someone to yell at if it breaks, instead of wasting more of your own time, and non-productive employees wasting your money.

If you insist on doing it yourself (ie - if your time is actually not worth any monetary value, and you really want non-productive employees for the whole week), just do some reading on Windows Server Essential. There are quite a few resources and case studies for 2-10 person office setups.

As for remote access - not sure where you're running into trouble. You run "mstsc", type the computer name/IP that you want to connect to, enter user/password and you're in (as long as the target computer has remote access allowed).

I'm not really getting the mstsc part. As for the computer name, so this computer that acts as the server, if I wanted to create multiple accounts, would that mean I would have to create it on the server so that when people access it through remote desktop they could access with the account I made? The main goal of making this network is to have the employees access files I store on the server, and some files I would also like to have set as privated for only administrator to view through the 4 computers I have available. In addition, I would also like to be able to access this entire network the 5 computers through Remote desktop if I am out of state. Is this possible?

I thought doing this whole networking thing would be simple. I'm not trying to make a huge server like the corportate offices. Just very simple.

With such a small network, running any version of Windows Server isn't needed at all. You can created folder shares with the appropriate permission settings to allow/disallow certain users access. Right click a folder, sharing tab, and the settings are there. If you have questions, post away.

Running remote desktop locally requires you to allow remote desktop access on each workstation, however if you want to access them from the outside you'll need to do port forwarding on the firewall. Again if you need help, ask away.

With such a small network, running any version of Windows Server isn't needed at all. You can created folder shares with the appropriate permission settings to allow/disallow certain users access. Right click a folder, sharing tab, and the settings are there. If you have questions, post away.

Running remote desktop locally requires you to allow remote desktop access on each workstation, however if you want to access them from the outside you'll need to do port forwarding on the firewall. Again if you need help, ask away.

Hey thanks, but I am quite lost as what you just said. Is there like a good post here that has all this information layed out? I also heard something about tightvnc. All this program does is just assign ip address for multiple computers that I can keep track of right? And also control?

Let's start simple - remote desktop
What version of Windows are these computers running, XP or 7?

But honestly, the other posters are right. If you're not sure how to setup remote desktop this simple project will be a headache for you.

Pay someone to do it, you really have no business setting this up for a business.

No budget right now.

Let's start simple - remote desktop
What version of Windows are these computers running, XP or 7?

So the computer I have as a server already I believe is XP. But the four computers are Windows 7.

But honestly, the other posters are right. If you're not sure how to setup remote desktop this simple project will be a headache for you.

I already is. I thought it would be easy. There has to be a good tutorial on here somehwhere. If you know of it please let me know. Currently looking for tutorials but most are just talking about how to make a server.

It sounds like he wants to control file access and have roaming profiles - that would be easier [or possible] with a server.

To the OP : "Very Simple" usually means "Very insecure" and "Very Prone to Failure". Get it done right by someone. Or don't, and see what happens - really it's up to you. I've cleaned up enough messes to know it costs more to do it right after the fact - even if it's just the cost of lost productivity in between.

I already is. I thought it would be easy. There has to be a good tutorial on here somehwhere. If you know of it please let me know. Currently looking for tutorials but most are just talking about how to make a server.
XP isn't a "server" operating system. If all you want to do is share a few folders - here's a how-to : http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...n-us/windows_share_your_folders.mspx?mfr=true
Then you need to manage the permissions : http://www.pearsonitcertification.com/articles/article.aspx?p=30421
Biggest Caveat : All usernames and passwords need to be identical on all systems, if someone changes their password on one, the system falls apart.

If it's running XP - it's not a server in the traditional sense of what a server is. I have a feeling what you mean by server is a central computer used for file storage and everyone can access. This is not what most IT folk think when the word server is used.

Here are some guides for remote desktop
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...op-connections-from-outside-your-home-network

http://www.xtralogic.com/rdc_cfg_guide_enbl_xp.shtml

http://www.geeks.com/techtips/2006/techtips-22jun06.htm

Yea I think I used server in the wrong context. I thought server meant something like a gigantic amount of space that stores files. Yea that's exactly what I mean a central computer for file storage and everyone can access. Would this task be simpler then?

Thanks for that xtralogic link. Quite informative.

Do you have NO budget or just a small budget?

PM me if you want to talk about small business consulting, I do it as a side job to being a Systems Administrator, 100% of it remotely with hands-on from on-site folks if required.

To be honest if ALL you want is a file dump with configurable permissions, look into getting a NAS - Network Attached Storage.

If you're up for it, there is something called FreeNAS that allows you to set one up for free. Besides the needed hardware, it isn't simple but take a look and google FreeNAS setup

To be honest if ALL you want is a file dump with configurable permissions, look into getting a NAS - Network Attached Storage.

If you're up for it, there is something called FreeNAS that allows you to set one up for free. Besides the needed hardware, it isn't simple but take a look and google FreeNAS setup

This guy doesn't know what TightVNC is, let alone configuring and installing FreeNAS.

Dude, just right click a folder on your 'chosen' PC and configure sharing, then access it on the other PC's. Guide:
How to share: http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/sharewinxpfiles.htm

There are lot of possible variations. The simplest solution for Windows computers is to install Windows Home Server...yeah, I know it isn't called a business server, and then join all of your computers to a Homegroup.

A better solution is to buy Small Business Essentials and join the computers to the network using a domain. That might not work depending on what version of Windows you have.

Both Windows Home Server and Small Business Essentials have remote desktop capability. Setup is usually pretty easy with most routers that support UPnP.

Go to the Microsoft websites or search Youtube and come back when you have more specifics. If you haven't looked, there are a lot of people now making video walkthroughs of different technology.

If you want easy shared files and remote access, look at something like dropbox and logmein.

There are just too many moving pieces and setting up shares in a workgroup with proper permissions can be a real PITA (maybe not right away, but you will have fun down the road...). You also have to consider backups/security/etc.

Back