creating a boot selection list

NeghVar

2[H]4U
Joined
May 1, 2003
Messages
2,686
I have a system with:
Windows 7 on a 120GB SSD (GTP)
Windows XP on a 160GB HDD (MBR)
Windows XP on a 160GB HDD (MBR)

I need to create a boot menu to make Windows 7 default but also have the two XP installations as other boot options. I have tried EasyBCD, but it cannot locate the 2 XP drives.
 
I have a system with:
Windows 7 on a 120GB SSD (GTP)
Windows XP on a 160GB HDD (MBR)
Windows XP on a 160GB HDD (MBR)

I need to create a boot menu to make Windows 7 default but also have the two XP installations as other boot options. I have tried EasyBCD, but it cannot locate the 2 XP drives.

Do you want to hide each OS install from all the others? Also, for any of these OS's, do you have a seperate partition for data, music, photos, or "stuff?"
 
Do you want to hide each OS install from all the others? Also, for any of these OS's, do you have a seperate partition for data, music, photos, or "stuff?"

I hid each OS from the other OSs by disabling the associated drives in the device managers of each OS. The two XP installations are different versions of surveillance software. They send retrieved video data to as NAS. The Windows 7 installation is for HDD repair and/or data retrieval, video file repair or conversion and burning retrieved video to DVD for clients.
 
Last edited:
I hid each OS from the other OSs by disabling the associated drives in the device managers of each OS. The two XP installations are different versions of surveillance software. They send retrieved video data to as NAS. The Windows 7 installation is for HDD repair and/or data retrieval, video file repair or conversion and burning retrieved video to DVD for clients.

Another possibility is multi-booting, which I think is less popular than it used to be, due to VMs. Here is a very useful website by a guy who seems to really care about this topic:
http://www.multibooters.co.uk/

If I wanted to multi-boot with complete "partition hiding" this is the one I would get:
http://www.boot-us.com/

And of course, there is the Wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_boot_loaders :p
 
I haven't used it in a long time, but Windows has a boot menu built in. It takes a small amount of work getting it running, but it gives you a menu. I think it was initiated back in the days where you could install operating systems side by side.

I don't know if 7 uses it still, though.
 
Back
Top