Create XP User from command line or using bootup tool?

Sasiki

2[H]4U
A pc here at the office had a bad motherboard. I replaced the motherboard, ran Windows repair and am at the logon screen. I click the username and ask the guy for his password. He says it's blahblah, but blahblah does not work. I boot into safe mode to access the Administrator account so I can remove the password. When I click to log in as Administrator, it says This copy of Windows cannot be activated in Safe Mode.

I am needing some sort of tool to remove the existing user account password or one to create a new user account so I can log in and get to the activation screen.

Any ideas?

You can access the Administrator account without being in safe mode.

Just type in Administrator as the username.

I believe BartPE or something like it has tools to change users passwords from. You could always boot from that.

If you are looking at the Welcome screen, and need to admin account, just hit CTRL+ALT+DEL twice.

You can access the Administrator account without being in safe mode.

Just type in Administrator as the username.

unless it's not using the classic logon.

I believe you can reset passwords from the recovery console. But I cannot remember the command, but it is possible.

edit:
I believe BartPE or something like it has tools to change users passwords from. You could always boot from that.

If you are looking at the Welcome screen, and need to admin account, just hit CTRL+ALT+DEL twice.

I did not know that... good to know, though!

ROFL. When doing CAD twice and trying to get in with the Administrator account, it says "Unable to log you on because of an account restriction". I'll download BartPE. I knew there was a tool out there to do what I wanted. I just couldn't think of the name of it and all a Google search netted was how to remove the password through Control Panel. Thanks!

Is the admin account password set to blank? Usually that error message will come up if it is. If this is a corporate environment you really should have a password set for local admin....

Is the admin account password set to blank? Usually that error message will come up if it is. If this is a corporate environment you really should have a password set for local admin....

I assume it is set for blank. Using BartPE, I also set it to null. BartPE didn't work either. I'll get back at it on Monday. I could have copied his documents/email over, formatted and reloaded it by now. I should have known this computer was going to be a problem, especially after 2 DOA Biostar P4 motherboards. I tested with known good RAM, power supply, and CPU too!

Back