CRC error when installing .exe programs?

Syncade

Limp Gawd
Today i all of a sudden cannot run .exe installations. I am getting the contuined CRC error message. This is only with certain downloaded programs, not ones i have on physical discs. The different programs have given me different error messages, but all with the CRC being their main problem.

I think this is because i uninstalled the newest version of AIM to resort to an older one with less useless crap, and now nothing will install. I re-downloaded Windows Installer 3.1 in hopes of that working, but it did nothing.

Ive searched and found nothing of what exactly to do for this? Can anyone help?

Set your Nvidia firewall to "offloadable" (my memory might be a bit off)
Or uninstall it and see if the problem goes away.

Bad RAM most likely. Download and run memtest86 and see if it gives you any errors.

if your getting crc errors that means the file is corrupt.. The cyclical redudancy check against the file is failing . Have you ran checkdisk on your pc to see if there are any bad sectors on your drive.this could cause the possible corruption of your files.... just my two cents..

Well i dont think its my memory, being as this problem only started to happen after i uninstalled Norton and Zonealarm. I would download memtest, but i cant download programs to install them, remember?

Both partitions passed diskcheck. Im just going to uninstall all nvidia software/drivers to see if that helps. Ill post the results soon

Thanks for the help everyone btw, please keep it coming.

I've had similar problems and despite having not looked into it I'd like to share my speculations/uneducated theory. Don't quote me on this, but after getting many CRC errors on an old, highly overused laptop of mine sporting a cheapo IBM hard disk with little memory (stressing the many uncontrolled variables here) I'm guessing that these errors are caused by too much paging. I've never looked into the technical side of this, but when leaving my lappy to dload for weeks on end I'd come back to it with most of what I requested there, but a few files would not copy due to CRC errors. I'm thinking that since there is so much hard disk swapping going on that the disk is simply glitching out every so often. While in the swapping phase of moving data on old worn sections of the disk things are just getting flopped over, but somehow it's never corrected or checked to begin with. Anyone with some fact to back this up or is this all just flushable theory?

Anyway, with nothing solid to back it up, I'd suggest defrag and check for errors then turning off swap and trying again. This might require a slight memory upgrade.

CRC errors mean your files are corrupt. A lot of times, this means you've got a hardware problem (memory, drive, cables, hdd controller, CPU, etc). If this is the case, the WORST POSSIBLE THING TO DO is to try defragging your drive.

...if you can't download anything, how did you re-download Windows Installer?

so... what else did you recently do? You said you only uninstalled AIM at first, which would lead us to believe your hardware is simply fucked. In a later post, you mentioned Norton and Zonealarm, which, by virtue of of tying into the OS at a relatively low level, if not uninstalled properly, could lead to file corruption on network transfers.

What does "certain downloaded programs" mean? If you're getting corrupt warez downloads off P2P, it might just be a bad source. If you can't download something like Firefox or Winamp, you've got a more serious problem.

At this point, I'd probably say a fresh install of Windows is in order - fixing this is more trouble than it's worth (not to mention that, if your OS is corrupting data on file writes, you could be seriously endangering your data).

I mean any files at all. Any .exe file i download gives me a crc error. My examples are adaware, spybotsd, spysweeper, and various game patches/updates. I reinstalled Windows installer 3.1 through Microsofts website, which is not a .exe file, which would be why it worked right?

Im guessing that my deletion of AIM, zone alarm, or norton are the reason im getting this error.

Isnt there something i can just install to fix this lol. What a pain...

Well i fixed the problem. It was my Nvidia Nforce "forceware ActiveArmor" firewall. Sikpupi, good looks and thanks. I dont know why it all of a sudden turn on? Im guessing because i removed all other forms of firewall/anti-virus off my HDD, so this took over?

Anyway, thankyou everyone for your help. This was very frustrating, espically because ALL online content about this topic resorted back to saying it was a hardware issue, which i knew it was not.

You have got to be kidding me... Unless something was majorly screwed up with the firewall config there is no logical reason why it would corrupt only exe downloads but nothing else. That makes absolutly no sense!! Firewalls don't filter files, they filter packets and block ports.

Hahah well it was doing it. I just completely disabled all nforce products except for my mobo drivers and gpu drivers. Now everything works. Sikpupi must have had this problem before maybe because he was definitly right?

I didnt mess with any of the config options, because i never even used it in the first place. I dont even know why it turned on randomly.

I hope this thread helps any Nforce users in the future because this sure stumped me [H]core.

The_Mage18 said:
You have got to be kidding me... Unless something was majorly screwed up with the firewall config there is no logical reason why it would corrupt only exe downloads but nothing else. That makes absolutly no sense!! Firewalls don't filter files, they filter packets and block ports.

But of course it makes sense, we are dealing with windows here, anything is possible

:D :D :D

That's odd... it somehow managed to corrupt the file's data stream without corrupting the data stream enough that the underlying file-transfer protocol shit on you.

This is why I love windows.

Well guys, the problem is back.

I just downloaded 2 NSIS installers. Its doing the same thing?

Right now i have absolutely no anti-virus nor firewall. Does windows have a default firewall that will kick in or something?

I just dont understand HOW this happens randomly.

XP Service Pack 2 does have a firewall.

Just go to the Control Panel, open the Windows Firewall and turn it off.

Yeah i dont understand my computer

Now that i installed norton, i can download programs if i disable "autoprotect". If i turn it back on, i cant download and install any programs.

I also get a "TTH Inconsistancy" when im using I2HUB. I also get distorted pictures when i view pics on a forum about 10% of the time.

What in the hell is wrong with my computer?

ameoba said:
That's odd... it somehow managed to corrupt the file's data stream without corrupting the data stream enough that the underlying file-transfer protocol shit on you.

This is why I love windows.
Yeah, let's not blame the 3rd party software that was *obviously* causing the error. ;)

Phoenix86 said:
Yeah, let's not blame the 3rd party software that was *obviously* causing the error. ;)
Of course! It's much more fun to blame Micro$oft (M$) Winblows! :( :(

Back